I want to Paint my plastic bumpers and trim | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I want to Paint my plastic bumpers and trim

Anyone done this? Id like to paint it to match my factory paint...I think all the plastic just looks dumb sometimes.

Does anyone know of any write ups on this, or any links I should look at to get an idea of the right way to do it?

Thanks in advance...

Pics...

SDC12165.jpg

SDC12170.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was quoted ~ US$400 to color match mine, so I just used the spray on bed liner, might be easier/cheaper to find some in a JY (limited, XLT, EB) and just swap them

seeing that your truck is black, use krylon fusion. It's made to bond to plastic and doesnt run. I did mine a few months back

seeing that your truck is black, use krylon fusion. It's made to bond to plastic and doesnt run. I did mine a few months back

Will it come out with the same finish? Put clear coat over it?

might be easier/cheaper to find some in a JY (limited, XLT, EB) and just swap them

Whats a JY?

It won't come the same as a real paintjob

JY = junk yard

no the color wont be exact but looks a ton better than grey and only costs 5.00 a bottle.

It can be done but it is recommended that you use an additive that lets the paint flex, Find an auto body supply store and ask some questions.

Do a search for Krylon+trim to see some images and get an idea of what you'd get, you'll spend ~US$40 between the krylon and the clear I used 3 cans of krylon on my 97 sport and 2 of clear

Look for a shop to do the work if you want a real color matching thing, i'm just waiting to get the money to do the same to.

I have a black 04 XLS and painted my bumpers & trim myself. Search my thread. If you can't find it PM me

I have a black 04 XLS and painted my bumpers & trim myself. Search my thread. If you can't find it PM me

Found it! Looks great!

Thanks alot man...I think im going to go ahead and go for it this weekend. Might take the bumpers off tonight!

Did you used high gloss or satin Krylon Fusion?

Im not sure hahah. I ordered a case of Krylon Fusion black paint online, and only used about 3 cans. With fusion you dont need to prep and sand the plastic down since its made to bond to plastic, which is nice. The side trim on the doors I painted right on the car, and taped off the surrounding door pannels so i didn't get overspray on it. I took the bumpers off and hung them with wire from my garage door beams to make it easier to spray. DIY spraybooth.. ftw

So I went ahead and went with the krylon fusion this weekend...

It went pretty well, although painting in my garage wasnt very condusive due to the lack of light...there are a couple spots that need some touching up on the front bumper...

Im going to finish my fender rim tonight...Looks pretty good in my opinon.

Bumpers came off real easy too...

SDC10009-3.jpg

SDC10016-3.jpg

SDC10017-3.jpg

SDC10012-5.jpg

SDC10019-2.jpg

Looks great, I'm going to do something similar over the summer when i get time, but i think your missing some blue on there... maybe center of the grill??? represent man!

Lol, Looks great, keep it up

Justin

Looks great, I'm going to do something similar over the summer when i get time, but i think your missing some blue on there... maybe center of the grill??? represent man!

Lol, Looks great, keep it up

Justin

i TOOK IT OFF TO DO THE CUSTOM EMBLEM THING...IM PAINTING IT BLACK TONIGHT! LOL!

Nice work, did you prep at all?

Period. That just looks great! You did a heck of a job... :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree, great job! Are you going to paint the plastic around the fenders to match?

Back