I want to Paint my plastic bumpers and trim | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I want to Paint my plastic bumpers and trim

Anyone done this? Id like to paint it to match my factory paint...I think all the plastic just looks dumb sometimes.

Does anyone know of any write ups on this, or any links I should look at to get an idea of the right way to do it?

Thanks in advance...

Pics...

SDC12165.jpg

SDC12170.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

So I went ahead and went with the krylon fusion this weekend...

It went pretty well, although painting in my garage wasnt very condusive due to the lack of light...there are a couple spots that need some touching up on the front bumper...

Im going to finish my fender rim tonight...Looks pretty good in my opinon.

Bumpers came off real easy too...

Which paint did you use?
Did you clear coat after?

Thanks..

:exp:

Which paint did you use?
Did you clear coat after?

Thanks..

:exp:

I used Krylon fusion spray paint... Its made specifically for plastic. It was stated in the first few posts....thats where I got the idea from. No prep needed.

I did use krylon clear coat too...but I really didnt need to.

I painted my stuff to match too.

before.
100_0882.jpg

after

IMG_1163.jpg

Monmix..you use a lot of clear?

Thank you.

Two coats I believe. I didnt paint it my self.

Hey man you want to post a close-up pic of the finished black Ford emblem??

I am thinking of doing mine but it seems difficult...

Hey man you want to post a close-up pic of the finished black Ford emblem??

I am thinking of doing mine but it seems difficult...

Not difficult at all. There is a thread on it...on the front page. "sticky"

SDC10007-2.jpg

SDC10008-2.jpg

sorry for the off topic-ness..but walker, what kinda sub is that and does it hit pretty hard? lol

The square speaker in the pics above is a kicker L7 12"

As far as it hitting hard.....lol man that thing POUNDS!!!!!!!! my glass came loose from that hatch last night....thats how hard it hits... 750watts rms and i have a kicker 750.1 pushing a little over 900 watts thru it.

Great work! I've always thought the look of the XLS with the gray front and rear bumpers, panel above the rear license plate, flares, and the dumb little rub strip on some of the doors was one of the worst looking "cheapdowns" Ford ever pulled. Way to make it look a LOT better!

im think about this whole black trim deal or maybe tan? only because i have tan leather...but does anyone have photoshop and can shop the bumper and grill?? with the chrome done ..if u can paint that plastic chrome stuff and also with the grey plastic painted and not the chrome ?? any takers?.......well i was going to insert a pic of my EX but i cant figure it out .. its on my SD card not on a site ??..i'll find one like it online

also .....MONMIX i dont suppose you would still have those clear turns still seeing as ur "all black pic" has black tinted lens .... ????

also .....MONMIX i dont suppose you would still have those clear turns still seeing as ur "all black pic" has black tinted lens .... ????

You were prob talkin bout someone else, but i did my turns to on monday...heres a pic

SDC10024.jpg

no im talkin about MONMIX in his before and after shot the before he has clear turn signal lenes and maybe diamond head lights ... but in the after shot he has black turn signals and black headlights .. i was wanting to know if he still had the clears

Back