• Register Today It's free!

I WAS feeling lucky with my Ex

Fredridge

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
So after having a relatively problem free Ex for the first few couple months I am now experiencing problems.

I actually figured I was ok, since it was a demo with 6k miles on it.

About a month ago started having MFT issues - still working ok, just glitches and some failures to boot. Overall been minor but annoying.

Started getting some A-pillar buzz around Thanksgiving, maybe because I was traveling more, but definitely there.

Yesterday was my wife's B-day so drove to her work in Hollywood to take her out to dinner. Lot's of traffic and forever to get out of parking garage.

My Ex overheated. Super annoying as it was very cool outside and I have had it sitting and running for a long time without problems.

it was about 5pm- had 5:15 reservations called and changed to 6:30 and called Ford for a tow. It was 5:06 - ETA 6pm restaurant across the street. All good.

7PM still no tow. Finally gave up, took my wife to dinner and risked driving it home. Fortunately no traffic on the way home.

So much for getting lucky with mine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So after having a relatively problem free Ex for the first few couple months I am now experiencing problems.

I actually figured I was ok, since it was a demo with 6k miles on it.

About a month ago started having MFT issues - still working ok, just glitches and some failures to boot. Overall been minor but annoying.

Started getting some A-pillar buzz around Thanksgiving, maybe because I was traveling more, but definitely there.

Yesterday was my wife's B-day so drove to her work in Hollywood to take her out to dinner. Lot's of traffic and forever to get out of parking garage.

My Ex overheated. Super annoying as it was very cool outside and I have had it sitting and running for a long time without problems.

it was about 5pm- had 5:15 reservations called and changed to 6:30 and called Ford for a tow. It was 5:06 - ETA 6pm restaurant across the street. All good.

7PM still no tow. Finally gave up, took my wife to dinner and risked driving it home. Fortunately no traffic on the way home.

So much for getting lucky with mine.
Sorry to hear about your problems. At least there is a Technical Services Bulletin (TSB) on both issues. The only thing I have to get done sometime is the auto coutesy wipe that comes on for no reason. There is a TSB on that and I think I'll have that addressed in the new year.

Peter

That would be unfortunate if a reliable Explorer is a matter of luck.

Got my fans replaced last Saturday morning too. Luckily I had warning with ac blowing warm and engine was normal temp. Was done by afternoon.

yeah, mine boiled over.

I also have the transmission issue where it slams into gear when slowing down and then speeding up.

I was pretty annoyed with the tow company. Ford roadside was nice and apologized, but so ridiculous.

Hopefully they fix it. When I took it in last time for transmission they couldn't duplicate problem so didn't fix it. The service writer wasn't interested in the TSB's I had.

The dealer is super close to my house, but if that happens again I am taking it somewhere else, especially with the overheating issue.

That would be unfortunate if a reliable Explorer is a matter of luck.

It's not a matter of luck. I have owned three explorers, all different generations. I have never had one give me grief in the first 200K miles that was serious in any way. My 5.0L has 215K on the clock and still runs incredible. First production year of ANY car will have problems. I've heard of worse problems before (can someone say Camry engine sludge????).

It's not a matter of luck. I have owned three explorers, all different generations. I have never had one give me grief in the first 200K miles that was serious in any way. My 5.0L has 215K on the clock and still runs incredible. First production year of ANY car will have problems. I've heard of worse problems before (can someone say Camry engine sludge????).

Now that is some good luck.

Certainly the real truck Explorers have shown durability with power trains even if other accessories are less reliable (radiators, switches, shifters, climate controls, some transmissions, bearings). But the history of ancient hardware has nothing to do with 2011 Explorer.

Now that is some good luck.

Certainly the real truck Explorers have shown durability with power trains even if other accessories are less reliable (radiators, switches, shifters, climate controls, some transmissions, bearings). But the history of ancient hardware has nothing to do with 2011 Explorer.

Hence why I said that any first year production model will have some problems to resolve. "Ancient hardware" as you describe does indicate a past history of good reliability and design/engineering. Why would a newer product have less forethought or inferior engineering? Keep in mind that you are generalizing that ALL 2011 explorers are miserable because a statistically small number of people on a forum are complaining about certain issues. Visit any forum of any make/model and you will see complaints. That is the whole point of a forum discussion.

Hence why I said that any first year production model will have some problems to resolve. "Ancient hardware" as you describe does indicate a past history of good reliability and design/engineering. Why would a newer product have less forethought or inferior engineering? Keep in mind that you are generalizing that ALL 2011 explorers are miserable because a statistically small number of people on a forum are complaining about certain issues. Visit any forum of any make/model and you will see complaints. That is the whole point of a forum discussion.

. It's not a good sign of a good auto manufacturer to give the excuse of "1st year problems", that's not acceptable. Other leading auto-makers have proven 1st year launches can be done much better.

. I don't see myself generalizing that ALL 2011 Explorers are miserable, that is not a fair accessment. I do expect that with large statistical sampling (such as done by CR for reliability data reporting), the 2011 Explorer will do no better than average, if that hasn't already been reported.

. I don't need to revisit other forums, I'm well-read on this as multiple owner of Ford, Toyota, Lexus, Mercedes, GM, Porsche vehicles. I know the whole point of forum discussion, including fan-boys too.;)

. It's not a good sign of a good auto manufacturer to give the excuse of "1st year problems", that's not acceptable. Other leading auto-makers have proven 1st year launches can be done much better.

. I don't see myself generalizing that ALL 2011 Explorers are miserable, that is not a fair accessment. I do expect that with large statistical sampling (such as done by CR for reliability data reporting), the 2011 Explorer will do no better than average, if that hasn't already been reported.

. I don't need to revisit other forums, I'm well-read on this as multiple owner of Ford, Toyota, Lexus, Mercedes, GM, Porsche vehicles. I know the whole point of forum discussion, including fan-boys too.;)

While I would tend to agree that 1st year bugs are not ideal, nor an excuse for a lack of proper engineering, it is most commonplace. Sorry, every brand has them.
Secondly, the statement regarding you generalizing that ALL explorers are faulty was a typo and a misstatement, my apologies on that one. You do have a tendency, based on your other posts, to pretty much speak poorly of explorers in general. Again, it's a forum and forums are intended for discussion of all opinions. Mine is just opposite of yours.
The third statement that I am a fanboy is a nice way to make the discussion personal. I am the first to admit when something doesn't work well, sorry I have had such great luck and you haven't. Maybe try learning how to maintain cars instead of spending so much time on forums. ;)

While I would tend to agree that 1st year bugs are not ideal, nor an excuse for a lack of proper engineering, it is most commonplace. Sorry, every brand has them.
Secondly, the statement regarding you generalizing that ALL explorers are faulty was a typo and a misstatement, my apologies on that one. You do have a tendency, based on your other posts, to pretty much speak poorly of explorers in general. Again, it's a forum and forums are intended for discussion of all opinions. Mine is just opposite of yours.
The third statement that I am a fanboy is a nice way to make the discussion personal. I am the first to admit when something doesn't work well, sorry I have had such great luck and you haven't. Maybe try learning how to maintain cars instead of spending so much time on forums. ;)

1. Agreed 1st year bugs are common, if not ideal, but some brands and models have more than others.

2. Secondly apology accepted for typo. And I see a personal comment regarding your opinion of my posts having "a tendency to pretty much speak poorly of Explorers in general", I prefer to keep it factual and not make sweeping generalizations like that.

3. Yes, I did see your early comment in this thread as a direct reply to my post that seemed rather fanboy-like. Go back and reread if necessary.

4. Your suggestion "that I learn to maintain cars" does nothing to improve 2011 Ford Explorer quality (or the quality of my current 2007 Ford Explorer).

Too bad you have a problem with my posting, but we have drifted too far from OP's original topic and I am sorry about that.

Fredridge - Any success/news with getting Explorer fixed ?

I purchased a 2003 Toyota 4Runner, it was also a complete overhaul from their previous versions. There were many TSB's such as the Moonroof locking open, to sulfur smell from exhaust, too many to list. If Ford hadn't taken a chance on the MFT, I believe that many people wouldn't be coming onto forums to vent their displeasure. Of course, it is 2011, and now all forums seem to be is a place to vent frustration. Forums used to be a place to find people with a common interest in a vehicle that they love, through the good and the bad. I wish more people that do not have any issues with their explorer's would sign in and discuss "not having any issues". That will never happen. It would take these forums back to a place where we can have fun reading about great adventures etc. in our new investments. Every vehicle has issues that will arise, the Explorer has a great following and they have sold more than they can keep up with. You can not purchase a Limited Ex in Alberta right now. It has to be pre-ordered. That says alot about the demand of this vehicle.

Just my 2 cents,
Rob

1. Agreed 1st year bugs are common, if not ideal, but some brands and models have more than others.

2. Secondly apology accepted for typo. And I see a personal comment regarding your opinion of my posts having "a tendency to pretty much speak poorly of Explorers in general", I prefer to keep it factual and not make sweeping generalizations like that.

3. Yes, I did see your early comment in this thread as a direct reply to my post that seemed rather fanboy-like. Go back and reread if necessary.

4. Your suggestion "that I learn to maintain cars" does nothing to improve 2011 Ford Explorer quality (or the quality of my current 2007 Ford Explorer).

Too bad you have a problem with my posting, but we have drifted too far from OP's original topic and I am sorry about that.

My first response to one of your quotes was an anecdotal statement basically stating that I have had excellent luck with explorers and not a derogatory statement toward your post. Your passive aggressive comments is what propagated this whole off-shoot from the original topic. You speak of "fan-boy" comments, yet you are on a FORD EXPLORER ENTHUSIAST website, what did you expect? Your comments are not "factual," but rather out of place. You haven't stated one thing factual. I think the only thing we agree on is that this has gone too off topic to be of value. I'm done with you.

To the OP, I sincerely hope you get all of your problems worked out. I would be greatly frustrated as well if my new vehicle started overheating. I wish you well with your new X and hope you have many great miles ahead once all of these bugs are resolved.

My first response to one of your quotes was an anecdotal statement basically stating that I have had excellent luck with explorers and not a derogatory statement toward your post. Your passive aggressive comments is what propagated this whole off-shoot from the original topic. You speak of "fan-boy" comments, yet you are on a FORD EXPLORER ENTHUSIAST website, what did you expect? Your comments are not "factual," but rather out of place. You haven't stated one thing factual. I think the only thing we agree on is that this has gone too off topic to be of value. I'm done with you.

To the OP, I sincerely hope you get all of your problems worked out. I would be greatly frustrated as well if my new vehicle started overheating. I wish you well with your new X and hope you have many great miles ahead once all of these bugs are resolved.

Thanks for being done with me, much appreciated. As I initially noticed your passive-aggressive comments in your first post here, but now you state the intention was not meant to be a derogatory statement which is nice. I have posted plenty of facts in this forum regarding Explorers, because I own a 2007, and close family members own 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen.

I am in complete agreement with your concerns regarding OP and also hope that all can enjoy the Christmas holidays.:)

EX-SV;2869896 As I initially noticed your passive-aggressive comments in your first post here said:
My first post was passive aggressive??!! I stated I had excellent luck with explorers. Your posts are as worthless as you are. Merry Christmas. :)

My first post was passive aggressive??!! I stated I had excellent luck with explorers. Your posts are as worthless as you are. Merry Christmas. :)

Yes and it just continued to get worse, as if your posts aren't worthless, lol, especially when posting 1999 trivia in 2011 Explorer section of this forum.

Merry Christmas.:rangerred:;)

Yes and it just continued to get worse, as if your posts aren't worthless, lol, especially when posting 1999 trivia in 2011 Explorer section of this forum.

Merry Christmas.:rangerred:;)

This is becoming absurd. This thread has gone downhill fast, nothing productive is coming of this discussion. We disagree.....not quite sure what our argument was about, but we disagree. :)
Don't see a point in continuing to argue, I think we officially hijacked this thread for no real purpose. To OP, sorry. I know there are many threads on 2011 ex's overheating for no real reason. I hope you find your answer there and Ford is reasonable about getting this resolved.

You two knock it off this instant, or I'm turning this thread around and nobody is getting ice cream!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok and I am sorry too.

Back to OP's concerns.

Back