I was hit today :( | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

I was hit today :(

MONMIX

I fix dents
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
The reason I think it will total is cause Explorers cant hold their value worth a crap. Hookie, great reply. Thanks.

I think there is a good possibility of frame damage for a number of reasons.
One of which is I see a small buckle about half way up the wheel flare. That means the force travled a good distance into the body. If you are lucky it stayed high enough to go over the rail, but odds of that are extreemly slim since the bumper took the brunt of the impact.

Either way, post some more pics when you get the opportunity, I will help you along as best as I can.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SoBeLover

Explorer Babe Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
None
Yesterday, I was called by the girlfriend of the guy that hit me, seems he was driving his grandmother's car. Since he doesn't want to have his grandmother's insurance going up for something that was his fault, he wants me to get some estimates and he will give me a cashier's check for the highest estimate.

I think this might be my best bet for me because I want to keep the truck, and I don't want my insurance going up either because here even though you are not at fault you still have to contact your insurance company too, and both party's insurance rates go up :(

Have to go pick up the police report after work.

Will keep you all updated.

snocross1985

Explorer-less
Reaction score
City, State
Stratham, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
Sounds very fishy. Personally, I would not venture down that path. Don't want anything bad to happen to you Sandy.

Premier

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport
I have gone that route before... and NEVER AGAIN! Because some things could come up during the repair that will cost more money. An estimate is JUST THAT. And often times the price will go up. Have insurance pay for it, thats what its for.

Sorry for all the caps, but I got screwed once and it freakin sucks to have 2k come out of pocket when it could have been handled by ins.

DeRocha

NEX Vice President
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Brockton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4x4
As the others have said let the insurance companies sort it out.. IMO it is much better to have the garage fix the car and handle any additional damage that may be found.. I would only venture to have someone pay out of pocket if the damage was superficial body stuff that I didn't care about.

SoBeLover

Explorer Babe Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
None
Sounds very fishy. Personally, I would not venture down that path. Don't want anything bad to happen to you Sandy.

I refuse to let the insurance company total my truck for something a guy at my job can fix.

He rebuilt the whole front end of a Mercedes he now drives, so I'm going to let him look at it before I do anything. If he tells me it can be repaired, I will ask him how much he wants to repair it and if he is willing, I'll accept the cashier's check

Besides, I don't think it will cost more than 2-3 thousand to repair it, and if the other driver is not willing to give me what I ask for, I'll tell them I'll let the insurance companies fight it out and then see what happens

IAmTodd

4x Explorer Veteran
Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Jeep
I'd still let the Insurance Companies handle it. You can always buy the truck back. You have more leverage and you're covered if you go that route.

techieman33

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Topeka, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 V8 Mountaineer
Let them total it out, then buy it back for pennies. Your settlement will probably cover the cost of repairs, with some leftover to spend on some more mods. That's only if you plan on keeping the vehicle though. If you plan on ever selling it, then it would be hard to do with a salvage title on it.

MONMIX

I fix dents
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
Let them total it out, then buy it back for pennies. Your settlement will probably cover the cost of repairs, with some leftover to spend on some more mods. That's only if you plan on keeping the vehicle though. If you plan on ever selling it, then it would be hard to do with a salvage title on it.

Yeah. That really IS your best bet. I would make him go through HIS insurance. He is the driver after all. You were not at fault. If this does effect your rates, which it totally should not, then look for another insurance company.

We usually refuse third party payments over a certain amount. Even then it is 100% payment up front. The kicker after that is the ol' hidden damage.
Getting the third party to get up off another 800 bucks for additional what ever is next to impossible.

Cold day in hell I would go through third party.

Charlie's_93EB

Cat 3 Hurricane Rated
Reaction score
City, State
Venice florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Eddie Bauer
Wow Sandy I feel very sorry....

Please be very carefull in what ever you do, insure or him pay.

I would call your insurance people, do not tell them who you are and ask them what will happen if you do this or that.

zhanx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Up state NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xls
excuse for a new project if you ask me.. shave the tail lights.. if you buy it back. Custom roll pan... new exhaust. :) i always look at the brighter side.

maybe even custom paint jobbie.

SoBeLover

Explorer Babe Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
None
Have you got anymore news Sandy?

I had the guy where I work look at my truck today. It was the first chance he had to look at it for me. He knows his way around cars very well, he used to work on diesel trucks when he was living in Poland and he fixes cars for a hobby. He told me that there is no damage to my Explorer's frame but he said had the guy hit me any more to the center, I'd might not have been that lucky. Seems the guy hit my bumper at the very end of the passenger side with the side of his car and wasn't going really fast at impact.

He said that the main damage was to my bumper, tail pipe and the plastic molding, also a little cosmetic damage to my liftgate (the lower corner of the liftgate near the impact was bent up a bit) and below my rear light needs fixing

Tomorrow I go pick up the police report and start getting some estimates on how much it will be to repair.

Keep you posted

SoBeLover

Explorer Babe Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
None
Update

Since I posted last to everyone I've gotten the police report. The driver that hit me was cited for following too close. Got the estimates, highest estimate being $4716, since they need to replace the bumper, replace the quarter panel, replace the moulding around the wheelwell and on the bumper, repair the liftgate where it's bent and repaint and rebadge it, and replace the tailpipe and muffler

I also finally got hold of the guy that hit me, and the damages to his car are as bad as mine and his insurance is fully covering the repairs and he told me to contact them since they were waiting for me to contact them. And I finally talked to them today

I have to bring it to one of their centers for appraisal Saturday, but the woman told me basically that it was just a formality. They will look at it and cut me a check for the highest estimate, and if it goes a little beyond that, my boss said he'd help out too.

On top of that the lady made me a reservation at Enterprise for a rental SUV while mine is in for repairs which his insurance will pay for too. Only thing she asked me is what kind of coverage I had on my Explorer, and I told her it had full coverage

So I'm happy in the knowledge that my Explorer will soon look nice again :D

blichy

Reaction score
City, State
Naperville, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 Explorer Sport
Since I posted last to everyone I've gotten the police report. The driver that hit me was cited for following too close. Got the estimates, highest estimate being $4716, since they need to replace the bumper, replace the quarter panel, replace the moulding around the wheelwell and on the bumper, repair the liftgate where it's bent and repaint and rebadge it, and replace the tailpipe and muffler

I also finally got hold of the guy that hit me, and the damages to his car are as bad as mine and his insurance is fully covering the repairs and he told me to contact them since they were waiting for me to contact them. And I finally talked to them today

I have to bring it to one of their centers for appraisal Saturday, but the woman told me basically that it was just a formality. They will look at it and cut me a check for the highest estimate, and if it goes a little beyond that, my boss said he'd help out too.

On top of that the lady made me a reservation at Enterprise for a rental SUV while mine is in for repairs which his insurance will pay for too. Only thing she asked me is what kind of coverage I had on my Explorer, and I told her it had full coverage

So I'm happy in the knowledge that my Explorer will soon look nice again :D

Good to hear that it sounds like things are going well--how is your neck/back doing? Hopefully the "formality" will be just that, and they won't try to mess around with you. I just found out that the insurnace company of the guy that rear-ended my wife offered our carrier a $4000 settlement on the damages, contesting the $24k of work that had to be done (the 2 catalytic converters alone were almost $4k).

Paraphoe

Go big or go home
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Willow Grove, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Good to hear Sandy. Hopefully things really do go smoothly, because blichy is right, a lot of times it just isn't that easy. Good luck.