• Register Today It's free!

i was painting again

Pheonixx77

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 sport trac
i love how this turned out. Semi flat is exactly what i wanted. I used flat under gloss clearcoat. Sure they were rattle cans... I used adhesion promoter, then krylon fusion (Krylon fusion chemically bonds to plastic) then the clear.
and after posting the pics, i noticed i forgot to pull the tape off my fog lights lol...

STA50003-1.jpg

STA50004-1.jpg

STA50005-1.jpg

STA50005-1.jpg

the grille looks shiny due to the camera flash
st500575.jpg

STA500075.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sure looks better than that gray! Good job man!

Good job! I have been lucky so far....mine is still very dark and I use Mother's Back to Black on it to keep the plastic from fading. If I get fade I know what to do now....Fusion paint.

sorry for the long post

well, its not just paint. I sanded everything , i used one of those foam sanding block things dont use anything coarser than like 400 or you will make your painting harder. All you want to do is scuff it and get that top layer of grime off. Then i wiped every thing down with 91% rubbing alcohol. give it like 5 mins to dry/ evaporate. Then spray 2-3 coats of the adhesion promoter on. The stuff will look like its evaporating but its on there, just spray it on and wait 5 mins before you do the color coat. then spray like 10 thin coats of color. If its not black the first pass thats ok, you just want the paint to be sticky. It will fill in and look right as you get more passes done, 5 mins between coats is good, dont wait more than 15 mins though. then add a few coats of clear and your set. let it dry overnight and sometime the next afternoon you should be ok.

I painted my stuff on the truck, so get yourself enough plastic drop cloths (the thin cheap ones work great and are like 1$ each) to cover the entire truck. it took me 3 9x12 cloths to cover the truck ab and a whole roll of 3 inch blue painters tape.
another thing i did is to tape the edge off before messing with the drop cloth then tape the plastic to your taped edge. The idea here is so once everything is dry you can remove the plastic separately from your taped edge. Now take a sharp pocket knife or a razor blade and cut a line where the tape meets the plastic. The point of that is the paint you just sprayed does not care about your line, and when you pull that tape off you may peel paint with it if your not careful.

that looks awesome! I still don't trust myself enough to try on my own though.....i wish.. great job though :thumbsup::thumbsup:

looks bad ass

That looks great! I would love to do something like that to my blue sport trac, but i don't have the "skills"...How much would something like that cost to have done?

depends on the shop, but 475 is what i was quoted. although the body shop would be removing everything and painting it. Not to mention the paint quality would be alot better.

Back