• Register Today It's free!

I will be specific......A4LD.

sploder92

Reaction score
City, State
boonies, indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT X, 93 ranger
I need to know if the 3.0 Aerostar transmission bellhousing is the same as the bellhousing on my 4.0 explorer transmission, if not, do the bellhousings attach in the same place so I can swap them out?

Does the 3.0 A4LD have the same strength, or the same amount of clutch packs as the 4.0? :confused:

I already know that the tailshafts are the same in 2WD and 4WD, as per the ford dealer telling me a new one is the same part number for either.

No guesses please. :rolleyes:

sploder92 said:
I already know that the tailshafts are the same in 2WD and 4WD, as per the ford dealer telling me a new one is the same part number for either. No guesses please. :rolleyes:
For someone who doesn't want gueses, you sure are putting a lot of faith in the Ford parts guy. :confused:

Yep, my manual shows the same numbers for the output shafts and the tailhousings also. How similar do they look? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• shafts and housings.jpg
    shafts and housings.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 331

I already know that the tailshafts are the same in 2WD and 4WD, as per the ford dealer telling me a new one is the same part number for either.

I can tell you for a fact the housings are different. The 2wd tailshaft housing is different the the 4wd one. In the pic above the smaller one is the 4wd version. For the internal parts? that I don't know.

Bellhousing should be the same, along with torque converter bolt pattern (and stall speeds from what info I have), but if you need info on the interchangability, here's a good refernce link:
http://www.alldatadiy.com/alldata/A.../56351048/34853741/34850750/42063452/42467412

The output shaft as well as the tailhousings are different...the 2wd is longer and cone shaped (and has a rear seal) and the 4wd is shorter and open ended (sealing against the transfer case).

The 3L version is weaker...the forward clutch pack only has 5 frictions as opposed to the 6 in the 4L version, same for the reverse/high clutch pack, there is at least one thrust washer in the 3L version that is a needle bearing in the 4L version, etc....

Back