I would like to learn how to weld. | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

I would like to learn how to weld.

My explorer has rust problem that I would like to take care of. Any suggestions for good beginning welding tools for a do it yourself er?

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
Your thread was renamed & moved into the tools & garage section. Did you check Harbor Freight? They have various welding supplies, a Haynes book, and coupons. Practice on scrap metal before you weld your vehicle. Always disconnect the battery, and keep a fire extinguisher handy.

<

dezertranger

Reaction score
City, State
long beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ranger
finding a nice lincoln or miller mig welder would be ideal to start. personally, i recommend a lincoln 180HD mig welder. they can be had for under 1000 dollars and are amazing little machines. they use 220v power and mine has handled multiple off road truck builds over the 15 years that ive owned it.
if you want to learn to tig weld, the everlast tig inverter machines are great for the price!

<

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
So you want to just do bodywork or you plan to take it further and weld all kinds of stuff?

Assuming the answer is yes, I want to weld everything
You cannot go wrong with a Miller or Hobart small mig welder. 220V is best, one that can run solid core wire with shielding gas and you can weld MANY MANY things.
If you are the type to make time for it consider taking a welding class?'

Otherwise beg borrow or buy a machine and get started.....that is a great way to learn.
Weld some things up, then grind them apart to see how you did

Harbor Fright makes AWESOME welders, I recently bought a multi process machine for under $800 that can ARC, Mig and Tig weld all in one machine. It is 220V and it works just plain awesome. I would not hesitate to buy a HF machine, they get very high reviews and I can see why....

Unlimited 200™ Professional Multiprocess Welder with 120/240 Volt Input

<

massacre

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘94 Explorer
‘19 Nautilus
I have been welding over 30 years. do you know which welding process you would like to learn?
I like TIG the best, but it has a pretty steep learning curve.

<

technobandit96

Reaction score
City, State
Taylorsville
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XL 4WD
Hey everyone! Thanks for all the info and knowledge that your giving me right now.
I'm currently in design school and I have already bought a chillton service manual.
Thanks for removing and renaming the thread for better comments.
I dont think I would have enough time to take a welding class considering I'm already in college.
I have watched and have taken notes over welding and I just wanted to know first hand before I go out and spend loads of money trying to fix a solution.

<

massacre

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘94 Explorer
‘19 Nautilus
So what is it that you are trying to accomplish?

<

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
<

Mike65

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
In my garage working on one of our vehicles.
City, State
Horsepasture, Virginia.
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Ranger 4x4, 99 Sport.
I have a Lincoln Weld Pak 155 that I purchased directly from Lincoln about 15 years ago. It runs on 220V & right after I got it I converted it to gas. I have done all the body panel replacement on my 69 Mustang & repaired the rocker panels on my wife's 99 Explorer Sport.

<

boominXplorer

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 4x4 Mounty
So what is it that you are trying to accomplish?
This^^^^^

You can get a regular old flux core mig welder from harbor freight for under $120. It will glue most everything you'll need body work wise at a great price point. It will also weld 1/8" on high half decent.

<

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
This^^^^^

You can get a regular old flux core mig welder from harbor freight for under $120. It will glue most everything you'll need body work wise at a great price point. It will also weld 1/8" on high half decent.

My .02 believes that he really doesn't want to use flux core for welding body panels. That will just add to the frustration of someone just learning to weld thin metal.

When MIG welding body panels a thin wire is preferable to help prevent blowing holes in the sheetmetal.

<

technobandit96

Reaction score
City, State
Taylorsville
Year, Model & Trim Level
@massacre rocker panels mostly, it's that and rust repair on the side of the truck where the nerf boards where.i made a whole YouTube playlist but I needed some insight here before I can get started.

<

technobandit96

Reaction score
City, State
Taylorsville
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a few questions about the welders. Are Vulcan, Chicago electric, and titanium good brands from harbor freight? And what @410Fortune answered, I want to do EVERYTHING. because I'm young enough to know what I have going on I should be able to do everything my body can handle.
So would a multiprocessor with a high voltage sounds about right yes?

<

massacre

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘94 Explorer
‘19 Nautilus
Well, with a harbor freight welder you won’t be able to do everything. Which is why I asked what you are trying to do.
There are small machines for doing small stuff, medium machines to do medium stuff, and heavy duty machines to do heavy duty stuff.
keep this in mind- you can always turn a heavy duty welder down, but you can only turn a little welder up so far.
if you want to weld aluminum you will need an AC/DC machine. For steel a DC only machine will do.
so my advice is to figure out what type of material you will be mostly welding.
harbor freight is literally the cheapest welders out there. Not necessarily a bad thing but be realistic with your expectations. For occasional use or light duty they are probably fine for welding exhaust pipe or sheet metal.
but as a beginner I wouldn’t weld a car frame or anything structural with one.
if you are limited to 110v then I would look for a machine with the best duty cycle and metal thickness capability.
if you have 220v then your options just got a lot better.
i have (2) 220v machines and (2) 110v machines and use them for different things
ymmv

<