• Register Today It's free!

IAC is blowing fuses.

elmo07

Reaction score
City, State
south australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
i have a 1996 xlt explorer was wondering what would cause the iac blowing my fuses i disconnected the switch it runs but very rough when you plug the swith back on it blows the fuse and car stops can anyone help me out cheers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check for short circuits or bad ground, also check the condition of the plug on the iac. Make sure that it is also the correct fuse.

Of course, the best way to check the IAC is to get a meter and measure the resistance of the windings and see what you get. Having said that, the fuse that you are blowing (although you didn't actually state the fuse number) is a 30 amp fuse (if I guess right). Although it is possible that the IAC is your problem, as the other poster asked... How did you know? I highly doubt that the IAC is sucking up 30 amps... HOWEVER, because there are many "things" on the same fuse, it is more likely that you are near the "30 amp limit" (ie. fuse) and that the operation of the IAC is "pushing you over". Basically, as suggested, you need to check wiring and such PLUS measure some resistances to see where your problem is ... for instance, with the fuse (in question) removed, measure resistance to ground at the "load side" of the fuseholder, with the IAC unplugged AND with it plugged. This will tell you what you are looking at. Having said that, the resistances are going to be very very small so you need to be "very good" with metering otherwise you will have done "nothing".

Back