• Register Today It's free!

Iac

jkp89

Reaction score
City, State
lakeside arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 explorer eddie bower
hey i was just cleaning my IAC hopeing for the best cause my explorer will not idle and is runing ruff. when i took off my IAC i saw something that is greatly destresing me everything in there is all black and sutiy is this bad or normal? if its bad what is it?

Black and sooty where?

Is it black and sooty inside the IAC or in the tubes leading to the upper intake manifold? Either way I'm pretty sure it's normal and comes with age but should still be cleaned for optimum performance. If it's inside the IAC, that is probably the cause of your idle problem and easily remedied ( at least untill cleaning no longer works as in my case) if it's inside the upper intake manifold then your best bet is probably seafoam to clean it out. Also if it's that dirty inside you may want to consider cleaning your throttle body, I know it says not to in the manual because it is coated with an antigumming compound but when I dissasembled my 94 it was so thick you could scrape it off in layers. Cleaning made a BIG difference in throttle response. :burnout:

A can of Sea Foam, run through the intake, will help greatly.

Good luck .....

thx

Back