• Register Today It's free!

IAC??????

rjc

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
It's been recommended to check this in many posts if you have a rough idle but I can't find it in my 1983-1993 ford ranger manual by Haynes. Is it possible it has another name? I see the MAF, TP and Air Charge Temperature sensors + EGR and Air Bypass Valve, Fuel Pressure Regulator and other misc stuff but can't find anything saying IAC or Air intake Control or anything like that. So my question is where is it, what does it look like and does it have another name? Thanks, rc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Air bypass Valve is the other name it goes by..

I've seen IAC, AIC, air bypass valve..

also, testing procedures is only in 1 of my books (can't remember if it was the haynes or chiltons but one didn't say how to test it)

~Mark

Someone correct me if im wrong, but I don't think they had IAC's back in 1993.............

They can be found on 95 or newer Explorers.....

They are on our 1992 XLT..

Here is a pic of it on the truck (1992 Explorer with 4.0l ohv)..

tps-aic.jpg

~Mark

COOOL PIC!

thanks for correcting me Mark.

my Haynes BII/Ranger manual ('83-'92) calls it an idle speed control motor, but only mentions it in the section that describes the emissions control system; the ISC doesn't have its own section like the others. Essentially it says enough to tell you that it exists and no more.

Thanks, that's easy to get to now that I know what I'm looking for. Now how do I go about cleaning it or is it a recommended replacment at 100K? Thanks, rc

The best book for fuel injection service is "How to Tune and Modify Ford Fuel Injection" by Ben Watson. This book has everything that you can imagine for EEC-IV based processors. It is made more for the Mustang crowd but it is an invaluable source of information for diagnostics and trouble shooting an EFI system.

OK, I removed the air bypass valve and cleaned it out the best I could. It was very sooted up. When I stuck my finger in the hole closest to the throttle body it came out with black tar that smelled like gas. Is this from the fuel tank vapor recirculation? Isn't the predominant fuel delivery directly into the intake vavle or combustion chamber? Anyway, is this normal? Also, I am wondering if I do have the beginning of an intake manifold leak because I have seen some "wetting" on the top of the engine nearn the front from something and it's not a valve cover gasket leak. From what I can see the intake manifold is sitting on a green paper gasket. Is that the defective kind that needs to be changed out? Thanks, rc

Back