ID steering wheel part

MrShorty

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spanish Fork, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
My steering wheel developed a clunk when turning. The cause is a piece of metal inside the steering wheel that came loose.
steeringwheelpart.jpg

(The image is from my scanner. Don't have a camera)
The piece is just inside the steering wheel underneath the horn pad. The "U" slot at the top goes around the steering wheel -to-retaining-shaft bolt. The three round "circles" are rubber "spacers". Anyone know what this part is? What it does? How it "attaches" so it doesn't rattle around inside the steering wheel? Is it extraneous material and can I leave it out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe that is a vibration damper and it should be held down by posts through the grommets, if my memory is correct. Gettin' senile in my old age now :rolleyes:

It is supposed to be attached to a metal bracket(the to side rubber pieces). The metal bracket thing is held down right underneath the bolt that holds the wheel onto the shaft.

The metal bracket is still attached to the steering wheel. How does the vibration damper attach to it's mounting bracket? I could probably epoxy it in there. For now, I'll probably just leave it out, though.

Thanks for the help

The two rubber things on the left and right side of your pic should be like bonded, "vulcanized," etc. to the left and right sides of the metal bracket. I don't think epoxy would work very well. You might try a junkyard for a used one.

Thanks. That's what I was looking for.

Back