Idea for Removing Doors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Idea for Removing Doors

I have been trying to develop different types of door setups to replace my wrecked doors. I was also thinking of putting step-ups that wouldnt be in the way like spring loaded steps that rose up next to your door when not in use (not practical). A buddy of mine planted the airplane idea in my head about using a door for steps. I liked it so here is a preliminary mockup.

tube_step_door.jpg

For a permenent cleaner look I thought of welding a smaller tube across the door way and fitting the door on it before welding and using the cross tube as the actual hinge letting the door rest on the bottom door jam. it would take some metal work but I bet some of you have the stuff to do it, I hope too one day. What do you think? Any god? I will continue working on ideas and look forward to some opinions and more ideas. You could use bolt on hinges for a temporary setup but I havnt got all the hinges worked out as far as what you would need.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

shouldnt be too hard either

I am assuming this is going on a trail rig right ?

If this could be made to keep the stock doors for winter/rain purposes I would definatly get right on making a set.

BTW, what program did you use to model that

MONMIX: shouldnt be too hard either

I am assuming this is going on a trail rig right ?

The Ex. I currently own is not trail only, It is my daily driver (1/2 mile to work and a 1/2 mile back). I plan on purchasing something else to pull it with but the little bit i drive it, and the mostly warm days we have here in GA, I could stand not having doors. Their are a couple of rigs here in Dunwoody that are doorless. Ultimately I want to develop a heep type door with canvas and a zipper window for my Ex.

FireZapper: Only thing I see is.... You muddy boot print in you arm pit.

I don't plan on having to get out to get my feet muddy :p J/K

Actually my experience with mudding is if your doorless, your gonna get muddy anyways.

If this could be made to keep the stock doors for winter/rain purposes I would definatly get right on making a set.

BTW, what program did you use to model that

I think with the right hinges you could modify this to be something that could be removed. I will be working on that option.

I use 3d Max. I am currently trying to create a full explorer in 3dmax so I can mod. on screen before actually doing it. I will place some of my current progress on this forum if anyone is interested.

if you did that, it would be amazing to build cages on. Im guessing you can manupliate it to get measurements and angels and such?

Absolutely, it is a cad based program. Any pictures of stripped down explorer frames and chassis's would be helpful if any of you have them.

Back