Ideas for light aesthetic upgrades? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ideas for light aesthetic upgrades?

Vikram

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4W
Not looking to go all out and over-done, just some light tasteful things. I think my dad who owned this before got some chrome trimming for the fenders, or maybe thats stock Idk. Got the brush guard.

Thinking maybe I'll put the bug shield back on (the original one broke so would have to buy a new one)

Planning to keep stock wheels and prolly stock tire size cos i don't want to mess with speedo gears and possible worse gas mileage. Also the tires i have on it are only a few months old so don't want to replace them anytime soon.

I know the headlights look a bit old so Im gonna clean them, i was gonna get aftermarket ones but dont want to roll the dice with water leaking in like i did with my last pair of headlights.

Any other ideas for light tasteful upgrades? Any places I can add chrome trimming?

XQK5lVG.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently put in the elbow grease to clean up my headlights and it makes a huge difference. Definitely start there.
If you want some function in addition to aesthetics, adding some reverse lights is a great upgrade.

I recently put in the elbow grease to clean up my headlights and it makes a huge difference. Definitely start there.
If you want some function in addition to aesthetics, adding some reverse lights is a great upgrade.
Nice! What do you mean by adding reverse lights, the car already has them right? Do you mean replacing the tail light assembly with an aftermarket one? Or are you saying to replace the reverse light bulbs with white LED ones to make them brighter?

Delete roof racks? Unless you actually use them.

Good luck.

Paint front bumper upper trim and bumper lower valance black?

And maybe same for rear bumper?

Tape everything off. Scuff them with light sandpaper, then use adhesion promoter and Krylon Fusion paint. This is will not cost much, but should look very nice.

Paint all rims black, but leave chrome center piece as it is?

Add nice fog lights to your brush guard? Maybe hook them up with your high beams.

This one is great to use.

Nice! What do you mean by adding reverse lights, the car already has them right? Do you mean replacing the tail light assembly with an aftermarket one? Or are you saying to replace the reverse light bulbs with white LED ones to make them brighter?
Yeah you already have reverse lights, but I've always found them to be pretty dim. This summer I added some cheap accessory LEDs and tied them into my reverse lights with a relay. Great for visibility when backing up and they also function as camp lights (the two lower lights in the bottom photo).
1605480704186.png

20200827-DSC00299_IG.jpg

Add nice fog lights to tour brush guard? Maybe hook them up with your high beams.

This one is great to use.
Thanks for the ideas! I'll prolly keep the roof racks because I like how they look, but I see you painted the bumpers black on your X? That looks pretty clean and I think I may go for it! Will look into fog lights as well. Do they need to be wired or can I just keep em on for looks?

Yeah you already have reverse lights, but I've always found them to be pretty dim. This summer I added some cheap accessory LEDs and tied them into my reverse lights with a relay. Great for visibility when backing up and they also function as camp lights (the two lower lights in the bottom photo).
View attachment 324249
View attachment 324248

Very nice! "Please snow" - haha I love it!

I did a quickncrappy Microsoft Paint of how it would look with a bug shield, painted front bumper and fog lights, and I kinda like it!

test.jpg

Thanks for the ideas! I'll prolly keep the roof racks because I like how they look, but I see you painted the bumpers black on your X? That looks pretty clean and I think I may go for it! Will look into fog lights as well. Do they need to be wired or can I just keep em on for looks?

Very nice! "Please snow" - haha I love it!
If you have lights, I would CERTAINLY wire them. You can use your high beams, or the existing fog light switch on your dash (if you have one), or get a switch and relay. Good luck!

Any places I can add chrome trimming?
And go nuts do the door guard strips the front of the mirrors exhaust tip .... Door handles...valve stem caps...gas cap... A and b pillars.

I did a quickncrappy Microsoft Paint of how it would look with a bug shield, painted front bumper and fog lights, and I kinda like it!

View attachment 324250

All jokes aside that thing is looking like a hog.no offense..take OFF the Amazon chrome plastic pieces chrome don't get u home and I won't get laid"... clay bar 3x and wax 3x clean windows really good super SUPER bright interior light black out the rims with rattle can cut off the muffler make it loud!! Throw a full sized spare on the roof shackle the rear nucle busters. Or lift coils up front make it higher than the rear. Front wheel spacers...drill out headlight add super low beam 12v white led in the housing. and drive it like that (too cool trust me).dont black out grille ford colors don't run.!..change the oil/trans fluid good fuel with Lucas oil upper cylender lube...and hit the gas hard.actually off road it... Well anyhow u could easily add a subwoofer vacuum it out...new car smell... If u lived In california and really really want to be cool u would get CHEAP new 31 inch tires and fiberglass front fenders that don't match the paint... Put an American flag up there and blast the country good to go. With these upgrades u can't go wrong. That truck is a beast as far as I see it's messed up kept down. Also first things first don't elbow grease anything get a cheap a$$ set of aftermarket headlights..
DIY engine dress up don't remove or clean anything just mask and paint
All this for 500

All jokes aside that thing is looking like a hog.no offense..take OFF the Amazon chrome plastic pieces chrome don't get u home and I won't get laid"... clay bar 3x and wax 3x clean windows really good super SUPER bright interior light black out the rims with rattle can cut off the muffler make it loud!! Throw a full sized spare on the roof shackle the rear nucle busters. Or lift coils up front make it higher than the rear. Front wheel spacers...drill out headlight add super low beam 12v white led in the housing. and drive it like that (too cool trust me).dont black out grille ford colors don't run.!..change the oil/trans fluid good fuel with Lucas oil upper cylender lube...and hit the gas hard.actually off road it... Well anyhow u could easily add a subwoofer vacuum it out...new car smell... If u lived In california and really really want to be cool u would get CHEAP new 31 inch tires and fiberglass front fenders that don't match the paint... Put an American flag up there and blast the country good to go. With these upgrades u can't go wrong. That truck is a beast as far as I see it's messed up kept down. Also first things first don't elbow grease anything get a cheap a$$ set of aftermarket headlights..
DIY engine dress up don't remove or clean anything just mask and paint
All this for 500

I think I had a stroke trying to read your post but my X is actually in really good condition. The interior is pretty much mint. The headliner was sagging and got it replaced professionally. It's been well maintained with OEM parts, got the 5 speed manual tranny and runs flawlessly xD No check engines lights or anything, got new brakes and brakeline... I like the fender chrome, just a little bit is the right amount 👍

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Start by raising it up a bit. Torsion bar twist in front, shackles or add a leaf in the back. May need to think about bigger tires and rims at some point. Believe it or not, removing things will have more of an effect than adding. Pull off all the tupperware (plastic) from fenders, flares, ground effects, bumpers and chop ends off of bumpers. Maybe remove front valance. This will give it more of an off road look. Black out chrome and add some projector lights in front and LEDs in back. If you are gonna leave some chrome, make them small or accent pieces. A modern utility look is the trend. Just ideas. Whatever you do, make it your own and have fun with it.

Back