Ideas on Light Bar Mounting Location | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DjDom

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XL(imited)
I'm thinking of buying an LED light bar, however, I can't seem to think of where/how to mount it so I'd like it.

The main concern is, I can't have it on my roof if it's higher than the roof rack. I park in a garage on a daily basis and this is what limits me from lifting the Ex higher.

2f0pzuTl.jpg

So, here's how the truck stands. Any ideas?

YYfqKjgl.jpg

I was thinking maybe behind the grill would look cool, but I feel like the grill would block out the light a bit..

Any input is appreciated! :)

- Dom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought a Bull Bar for $135.00 that looks sweet and comes with light brackets already on it. I got 6" round lights that don't fit inside as I think they should. (modifications to come) but rectangle would fit nice.

I bought a Bull Bar for $135.00 that looks sweet and comes with light brackets already on it. I got 6" round lights that don't fit inside as I think they should. (modifications to come) but rectangle would fit nice.

Where'd you find the bull bar?

That would be my preferred place to mount it, however, I can't find a grill guard anywhere up here..

I just purchased a 24" bar off ebay and Im going to be installing it in the lower grill opening which just happens to be 24". I see you have a plate a fog lights there, but IMO I think its the best for a discreet install.

Where'd you find the bull bar?

That would be my preferred place to mount it, however, I can't find a grill guard anywhere up here..

I got it from Truck Gear on E-Bay item #120988509272 But I went with the stainless since my front is all black.. but it also comes in black. Installion took about 30 minutes on my 4x4 . Brackets mounted right onto tow hitches.

1st question to ask is why do you want the light bar? What is it expected to result in for you?

Do you just want a light bar, or do you want added light for highway-night travel? Off road use?

The 17" light bar I have is more than adequate for lighting up those back roads at night, exposing all the little critters that like to dart out in front of you. Mounting it at headlight level or lower helps with visiblity. Beware to turn it off if you even see other vehicles headlights though, it might be illegal to use on public roads.

Id see if 17" would fit into the lower slot of your bumper, then raise the license plate a tad. A bull bar will increase the length of the truck and decrease ground clearance.

I just want it for dark roads and occasional nightly off road adventure.
I found a decent reseller on ebay that has good reviews.

I would put it where the plate is, but Ontario law, you HAVE to have a front plate. Hence why I put the little fog lights next to it.

Where'd you mount your 17 inch Turdle?

I have also been pondering this, wanting one to help with dark country roads. I have been trying to think of a in grille idea... the only one I've seen on this site for a 2nd gen was with a mountaineer grille in the dead center of the grille which wouldn't work for the ex. There is no room above the Ford logo with the hood handle and the radiator seems to be in the way below the Ford logo.

I've considered two smaller led lights like these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EA0ZB7I...lid=1JRA685ISCED0&coliid=I31QQ7WTSUBABG&psc=1

I'd mount them in the two lower center grille openings but I'm not completely sold on the idea yet.

You could also move the plate to either side of the bumper if you don't mind the look of it being off centered...

I have OCD sometimes, putting it off center on a truck would drive me insane.

I see these new Mazda's with it off center.. so bad.

How would mounting it in front of the grill on top of the bumper look/work? Seems possible.. but what to bolt to?

Where'd you mount your 17 inch Turdle?

Like this.

001-8_zps25438bd5.jpg

It is an RLC bumper with a few modifications, one being a light bar box

007-3_zps40bd5c57.jpg

One thing great about Kansas, is one plate. :D

Like this.

001-8_zps25438bd5.jpg

It is an RLC bumper with a few modifications, one being a light bar box

007-3_zps40bd5c57.jpg

One thing great about Kansas, is one plate. :D

I'm coming to steal your bumper. I love it.

This is how mine's mounted, finger and all.

20150422_115201_zpsoaeodvj0.jpg

That's what I was thinking. Right on top of the bumper in front of the grill like that.
The only problems are, mounting it to my stock bumper which is the steel bumper, and with it being out front like that, it's exposed to everything.

Something like this, but no so high, basically make the bottom of the bar level with the top of the windshield.
lights-50-inch-jeep-jk-mounts_70504-installed.jpg

I put the fog light on top of my explorer. question: i want to put lights on the front of it but i don't know where. i cant put it on the lower grill because the plate is there. the only place left is the grill but i don't know how it will look after. anyone can help?
x3vhxz.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

front%20grill%20lights.jpg

this is how i mounted my lights like was suggested by some one else the mistake i made with these is i got spotlights not floods so they have a narrow beam

i am going to replace them even though i just munted them with one of these in the same place it is a 12" bar and will fit nicely there i may have to cut off the mounting tabs and reweld them but that is not hard

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OSRAM-12-inch-120W-LED-Light-Bar-Spot-Flood-Offroad-PICKUP-SUV-ATV-Jeep-Wrangler-/111652503329?hash=item19ff01ff21&vxp=mtr

i bought the center hoopon my bumper prebent it is a low stinger and it was like $50 but i did fabricate the bumper you may not have something to attach it to

Back