Ideas please? Before I blow it up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ideas please? Before I blow it up

Cooper1

Reaction score
Ok, so I picked up my 2002 Eddie Bauer maybe 2 weeks ago (still waiting on my license plates) and so far the 4x4 module is bad, Drivers seat doesn't move, CD player eats cd and doesn't play them and I just had the transmission replaced. Now I started it up and drove 3 miles and the engine began making an aweful racket. I found a video on you tube of exactly the same noise so I will post a link and hope someone can identify this issue for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2wSBDRdK_E&feature=related

Any help would be so very appreciated.
Cooper

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hate to be the one to tell you this.... but the engine is going to have to be pulled out and have the timing chains redone. The guides/cassettes are bad. As for the driver seat not moving, check the wiring underneath it. Mine quit moving and I found a broken wire (the third one that has broken under the driver seat since it was new). As for the CD player, I'm guessing you have the 6-disc changer...? If so, these are prone to failure and the unit will need to be taken apart and repaired or just flat out replaced.

I would drop the lower oil pan and look for broken plastic pieces, 10x 10mm bolts. This will confirm the timing chain guides. If you post pics of the broken pieces on here, someone may be able to tell you what has actually broken. It certainly sounds to me as though at least one of your guides has been shattered to pieces and caught in the oil pickup giving you little oil pressure up the top of the engine, valve lash adjusters and timing chain tensioners. your oil pressure gauge may say otherwise as it's sensor is located elsewhere.

If your engine has busted its guides the camshafts will also be lagging behind several degrees.

My 04 Explorer had this same problem. A mechanic said he seen a pc of metal in the oil pan? My husband took it apart and replaced all the tensioners and chains. Started it up and same noise! Sounds just like Cooper1's you tube video! Anyway, he has no clue where to turn at this point. So we need to know if a 2001 engine will fit in my 2004? And if there are any suggestions as to why the noise remained, that would be great too. Could it have anything to do with the Valve lash adjusters? Thanks! Kathy

how many miles on you engine. anything over 120,000 I would say def the timing chain problem, you have to pull engine out to get to the right rear chain, parts are expensive, I would not repair or rebuild, just find a replacement engine. any 4.0 sohc will work and it dosent matter if it is out of a ranger or explorer.

Vipersinu2,
Thanks. We just bought a 2001 4.0 SOHC out of a wrecked Explorer. Thing is, my husband is a great backyard mechanic, works on everyone cars on the side. So, bought this Explorer with the bad engine, knowing the pain to replace the chains. The tensioner for the counter balance chain was definitely broken and easy to replace, but no change in the noise. So, we bought the tools and the tensioner/chains online and he pulled the engine and replaced all of them. Started it up, same noise...that's the dilema, he hates to give up on this engine as it was so clean it was amazing. And OBTW, 127k miles on it. Interior is show room, exterior close, so it is just a keeper, but still would love to repair the engine that he has already worked on, just don't know what to think next... After he repaired the first easy tensioner, he said I just don't see anything wrong with this engine, it's so clean??? So after replacing all that, what could be the problem? Thanks for you reply!

Back