• Register Today It's free!

Ideas to reduce steering effort.

osteologation

Reaction score
City, State
Caro, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Sport
I've owned/driven a few cherokee's and I've always loved the effortless steering they had. IT got me thinking last night driving my buddies gran marquis home and its quick yet super easy steering made me jealous. My pump does not whine and the box leaks a bit but doesnt have the huge dead zone. I wan wondering if anybody has every tried other steering boxes on their explorer/ranger/etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My dad has an 94 F250 that has fairly easy steering, I checked and they use the exact same steering box. Is the difference in the pump? Can I make the pump fit my explorer?

My dad has an 94 F250 that has fairly easy steering, I checked and they use the exact same steering box. Is the difference in the pump? Can I make the pump fit my explorer?
Many variables involved here but one reason why the F-250's steering might be easier than your Explorer (even though the two vehicles may have the same pump) is that the F-250's engine has a higher torque rating at low RPMs (idle). Therefore, the hydraulic system produces greater pressure which makes steering the vehicle easier.

Fix the leaking box first and then do this to the pump:
http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/powersteering.html

Well it blew the seal on the box and I replaced it. I've done this a few times as it seems every ford I've had with a box blows that seal. But this time it seeps a little. I did this about 3 months ago and while I haven't had to add any fluid to it I've noticed that it still looks wet under there. It could be that the shaft is worn enough for a new seal to not seat properly or that I didn't clean it correctly but either way I will just replace the box here shortly.

I was a bit surprised to see the f250 uses the same steering box. My dads F350 feels much easier than the 4 Ex's and ranger that I've had.

Many variables involved here but one reason why the F-250's steering might be easier than your Explorer (even though the two vehicles may have the same pump) is that the F-250's engine has a higher torque rating at low RPMs (idle). Therefore, the hydraulic system produces greater pressure which makes steering the vehicle easier.

Same box not same pump. But I've put a lot of miles on the f250 and its much improved effort wise. not necessarily at idle. I could hold that ex at 3k rpm and it wouldnt matter.

Nature of the beast. It's a 1st gen. I really fail to see why you want to put $ into it. It's not a big deal to me.

Nature of the beast. It's a 1st gen. I really fail to see why you want to put $ into it. It's not a big deal to me.

It's not like i would be spending many hundreds on an aftermarket setup like agr. I was looking at adapting oem stuff that can be had for cheap. I mean that f250 pump is like $50 for acreman at rockauto. And that does t seem unreasonable fir improved steering effort. I'll be honest my Cherokees were much more enjoyable to drive offroad and on. But not incredibly well built, which is why I stuck it out with the exploder.

Another idea: find a larger pulley - this will multiply the engine's torque that's going to the pump.

Also, another concept that puts unwanted stress on the system is scrub radius. If you have wheel spacers for example that push the wheels out (or wheels with small backspacing), removing them will decrease scrub radius and make it easier to turn the front tires at low speeds.

EDIT - this is more important on a vehicle with a locker on the axle because, instead of just rotating on the knuckle's steering axis, the tire is actually also dragged across the surface since the locker prevents the two wheels from rotating against each other.

I know some said a steering stabilizer tightened it up a little. They are cheap to try I've seen them for $35 on Ebay.
Bigger tires may make it harder to steer at low speed. I found when I had 31's the steering was a bit tighter then with stock tires.

The point here is: I want to able to steer with just my pinky like I can in the F250 that has the exact same steering gear box. I would bet that the f250 has a different spring rate in the pump (like in that link to modify) than my explorer pump and has more line pressure. Maybe this weekend I will hit up the junkyard and see if I can grab the part I need, or I will do that mod and see.

While I dont recommend it, you can make the struck want to turn by changing the caster (use very little). If you dont have enough caster you can get the shopping cart type wheel wobble so you have to know what your doing.

~Mark

I've owned/driven a few cherokee's and I've always loved the effortless steering they had. IT got me thinking last night driving my buddies gran marquis home and its quick yet super easy steering made me jealous. My pump does not whine and the box leaks a bit but doesnt have the huge dead zone. I wan wondering if anybody has every tried other steering boxes on their explorer/ranger/etc.

I wonder who's grand marquis that was? ;)

What condition is your suspention in? If its mis-aligned or worn as others have said you may get the harder steering condition. There is a pound spec that ford gives for steering effort, I don't know exactlyl what it is. I'll have to remember to look it up.

It will be interesting to see what you find, let us know what you figure out.

The only car I have ever driven with "pinky steering" is our '64 Buick Electra 225. That car has the lightest steering I have ever felt. As a matter of fact it was too light and people used to loose control of their cars back then because of it, figure that!

Back