Identify broken serpentine accessory? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Identify broken serpentine accessory?

iris

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 5.0 XLT
The other day my '96X started making a noise like a bearing in one of the accessories attached to the serpentine belt is going. I got under the hood to try and identify the culprit but i can only determine it is on the passanger side.

Is there any way to determine which accessory it is?

I have had no engine light or new problems since the noise started, but would like to get ahead of it. With the header leak and now this noise my truck sure "turns heads" :)

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
Take off the serpintine belt and then spin each pulley by hand. If the bearing is bad you should be able to see/hear/feel it..

~Mark

<

iris

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 5.0 XLT
Take off the serpintine belt and then spin each pulley by hand. If the bearing is bad you should be able to see/hear/feel it..

~Mark

I guess the reason i hadn't already done that was because i'm not sure how.

How does one remove the serpintine belt?

<

KPT

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XL 4x4
Put a 3/8" ratchet in the tensioner and turn it whatever way loosens tension. I believe there is a pic on top of the header panel that shows you what to do.

<

96eb96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
The other day my '96X started making a noise like a bearing in one of the accessories attached to the serpentine belt is going. I got under the hood to try and identify the culprit but i can only determine it is on the passanger side.

Is there any way to determine which accessory it is?

I have had no engine light or new problems since the noise started, but would like to get ahead of it. With the header leak and now this noise my truck sure "turns heads" :)

I suggest you change both your idler and tensioner pulley, even if they check out. They tend fail on these trucks, you don't want to find out the hard way. They are not expensive and real easy to do at home.

<

akrada

Reaction score
City, State
Wasilla Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt 4.0SHOC
Ha Ha, i just went trough this yesterday. Well it finally gave yesterday. My idler pulley froze up and broke the serpentine belt 40+ miles from my tools, with -0F temps we had to wait an hour before a ride showed up an it was like -6F by time we got the parts and worked on it (we=me+wife). I'm still cold! Good Times LOL

<