How to: - Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve Replacement

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

ExplorerDMB

Moderator/Technician
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Acura TL
Recently, I was having a rough idle and one time a bad stumble that I thought was going to cut off on me. I have cleaned my IAC once, but not really that well. So, after awhile of dealing with it - I decided to op out for a new one. The service writer at my shop told me that NAPA didn't make a IAC motor (or reman. them), so I had to get a Ford Motorcraft Replacement. He also got me a gasket, but I soon realized that there isn't a need of one.

Part Numbers:

F7UZ-9F670-AB - $3.69
YU3Z-9F715-AA - $81.66

EST Time: 10 minutes/

all prices are from Fast Parts Network (please visit our sponsors!!)

Removal:

First off, you will need a 8mm and a 7mm socket (with a small extention or deep well might do).

This is what you'll see when you pop the hood:

000_0774.JPG

You will need to remove the engine cover via 4 small 7mm bolts. Then remove the cruise control cable mount at the top of the engine cover. This will allow you to remove the cover and have full access to the IAC Valve/Motor.

000_0775.JPG

000_0776.JPG

000_0777.JPG

Above is a picture of the IAC Valve. To remove the valve disconnect the connector (push-in type) and then remove the two 8mm bolts.

Once the valve is removed you will see an area like this. You can clean this if you would like with some carb/throttle cleaner or some brake clean. Also, if you notice - this engine (4.0L SOHC) has a re-useable gasket for the IAC. So I will not need the other gasket.

000_0781.JPG

Old Vs. New:

000_0780.JPG

Installation:

To install the IAC Valve, it is basically a reverse procedure of the removal steps (just like in any other manual). However, be careful not to tighten the IAC Valve down too tight. Itis aluminum, just like some thermostat housings; which can break when put in a bind.

The new one installed:

000_0782.JPG

Verdict:

I have not yet to notice a difference in idle, but the PCM regulates the idle via IAC Valve, so hopefully in a few days I'll notice a little smoother idle. Otherwise, I will hook up the scanner and look at misfire count and look at some other vitals. My truck has just hit 80K and this is the first IAC Valve on it. Fords are known for IAC Valves going bad.

-Drew

PS - To learn tips and tricks of the trade, fixes, and more visit the Technician Corner inside this site!!

Well it has been awhile and it seems like the idle has been better and a smoother. I may hook up the scan tool and see what kind of stuff I'm getting on it (maybe run it through KOEO KOER test).

-Drew

nice write up! I had a new IAC put in a while ago and now the rough idle is comming back. looks real easy and fairly quick to do with basic tools. Probally going to clean it myself now after seeing this.

:thumbsup: thanks

Dan

Back