• Register Today It's free!

Idle Air Control Valve

Newbomb Turk

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
Quick question.....I searched and didn't find an answer.

I replaced my idle air control valve last week and since then it has seemed to be really sucking some gas (I know....it always does, but it seems to be more than usual!). Tonight, the Check Engine Light came on.

Should I have disconnected the battery after I replaced the IAC?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup, if it idles rough, you may need to clean your throttle body. Resetting the PCM will of course erase all learned settings.

The computer should learn pretty quick after replacing the IAC. I have replaced a few on other vehicles and never had any issues when I didnt unhook the battery. At the most I think it would take a couple miles and maybe 3 ignition cycles to get it sorted out. Before pulling the battery I would check for pending and stored codes.

If you haven't already, go back and buy a Motorcraft IAC. I know it's more expensive, but trust me, in the long run you'll thank me.

If you haven't already, go back and buy a Motorcraft IAC. I know it's more expensive, but trust me, in the long run you'll thank me.

Wish I had seen this before I bought, but I didn't. We'll see how it goes. I had to change this and the EGR sensor. I reset the PCM last night and it seems to be running really well....

Back