• Register Today It's free!

Idle issues *Please Help*

polarbear199

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 EB
My explorer runs fine, no known issues except one that has been bothering us since the day we bought it (used). At idle it vibrates terribly. Loud, clankinging, and vibrating and it resonates through the entire car. I can't seem to find a thread that covers this issue, but I would love to hear the solution. The dealership said something about welding something in the undercarriage? The vibration disappears completely with a slight press on the accelerator. It occurs whether in drive, park, neutral, or reverse as long as I'm not applying the gas.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Is the check engine light on?
Motor mount broke?
What RPM does it idle at?
What have you done to fix the problem?
What recent maintenance has been done?

No check engine light. I have cleaned the IAC Valve and the throttle body. No real maint. has been done, other than oil changes and a tune up a few years ago, but the vibration occured before that. It idles at about 800 but will only go away if I set the idle at above 1500. I'm not much of a mechanic so that is all I have done up to this point. I watched the videos on SeaFoam. Do you think that might help? I don't know about the motor mount being broken, I will definately look into that.

Seafoam may help. It would be nice if we could figure out if it was something inside or outside the motor that was the problem.

Check the motor mounts and if that doesnt work try the seafoam.

Did you clean the MAF?

Back