Idle Rough And Sluggish Throttle Responce | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Idle Rough And Sluggish Throttle Responce

danwaters

Reaction score
City, State
Fallbrook, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer 5.0 limited
So my explorer idles kind of rough and when you proceed to press the accelerator it almost stalls out then jumps up rpms all of a sudden. It drops down to about 3-400 rpms and then all of a sudden revs up.

I figured it could be dirty air filter (least likely) dirty throttle body, dirty MAF or a bad fuel filter.

Any ideas anyone...maybe the Iddle control valve?

I cleaned the IAC with carb cleaner and reinstalled it but the issue still came up. I manually accelerated the throttle at the TB and it sounds as though its sucking too much air in too fast so the motor wants to stall. Could it be the MAF?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah Ive followed the vaccuum lines and everything seems to be ok.

You might check the throttle position sensor.

someone also mentioned that. Ive been waiting till today to see if I could hook it up to an OBDII cause it seems to be getting worse.

The three things Ive narrowed it down to is MAF, TPS, or IAC..I guess Ill find out when I get it scanned. Appreciate the help.

Take a look at the following thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169335&highlight=quest

Good luck resolving your situation ....

I have the 5.0 in my explorer although I do have the SOHC 4 in my ranger but never had a ruff idle

I went to autozone and it threw codes left and right.

P0340
camshaft position sensor A - Bank 1 circuit malfunction

P1451
Manufacturer Control Auxilary Emissions COntrols

P0401
EGR Flow Insufficient

So I know my EGR and modulator is going to need to be replaced but what the hell are the other codes

I have the 5.0 in my explorer although I do have the SOHC 4 in my ranger but never had a ruff idle

I went to autozone and it threw codes left and right.

P0340
camshaft position sensor A - Bank 1 circuit malfunction

P1451
Manufacturer Control Auxilary Emissions COntrols

P0401
EGR Flow Insufficient

So I know my EGR and modulator is going to need to be replaced but what the hell are the other codes

You might have a bad DPFE sensor-(if youhave the gt40 p version of v8--look for an egr tube on the passenger side exhaust manifold)

Also-the camshaft position sensor --you might get lucky by cleaning it-
You'll find it where the distributor would be--remove the 2 small screws and look under the cap

You might have a bad DPFE sensor-(if youhave the gt40 p version of v8--look for an egr tube on the passenger side exhaust manifold)

Also-the camshaft position sensor --you might get lucky by cleaning it-
You'll find it where the distributor would be--remove the 2 small screws and look under the cap

Ok, i have read a few topics on the board concerning this issue. Somwhere I read that someones alternator cause the sensor to go bad due to surging? I dont know.

I also have an EGR flow insufficient code (P0401) which I've know about for a while but havent had the tiome to fix it. I have the infamous annoying tick under load but I cant see the EGR tube on my exaust manifold. I also read about the DPFE sensor...where the hell is that? Its a 97 5.0.

so where is the camshaft postion sensor at exactly. I know you said where the distributor would be but sorry to sound declined but is it on the front of the motor. Do I have to pull grill and header pannel to get it? Any help is greatly appreciated

Dan
The camshaft position sensor is right below the coil pack chair-

Toward the front of the engine. It's not real hard to get to. Don't remove the shaft just yet-try cleaning just the sensor-you'll see the 2 small screws right on top.

Dan
The camshaft position sensor is right below the coil pack chair-

Toward the front of the engine. It's not real hard to get to. Don't remove the shaft just yet-try cleaning just the sensor-you'll see the 2 small screws right on top.

Its dark so im not going to try and tackle it right yet but is there any tips you can give me to make things a little easier. Do I have to remove or take anything apart to get to the sensor. Im assuming you clean it with electrical cleaner?

anyone know where the DPFE sensor is located and how to get to it?

I really appreciate the help by the way

Back