• Register Today It's free!

Idle rough on hot restart

fordmanSLO

Reaction score
City, State
Davis, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT 4x4
Does anyone have any ideas on this? After my 92 Ex is warmed up and I shut it off, if I start it back up when it's still warm, it idles really bad, surging all around and stuff. I don't get any computer codes, and otherwise it runs fine, no real missing or anything. I can't figure this one out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've heard of this as a possible symptom when the diaphragm in the FPR ruptures. Check the vacuum line to the FPR for gasoline. If there's gas there, then replace the FPR. If not, put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if one of the fuel injectors is leaking.

I've had the same problem for a long time now, hopefully some others have some other ideas also

That's actually good news, since I just recently noticed that there IS a gas smell coming from the vacuum line into the FPR, since my mileage has been dropping alot lately. What I would like to know, however, is how to test injectors with a fuel pressure guage, since I can't seem to get the computer to run a cylinder balance test.

check for excessive air in lines as well

A '92 uses MPFI, so it isn't capable of running a cylinder balance test like the later SEFI 4.0's. Basically, what I had in mind was to hook up a pressure gauge, turn the pump on to bring the pressure up, then turn the pump off to see if the fuel rail could hold pressure. If it holds pressure, then the injectors aren't leaking. If the pressure bleeds off then there's a possibility that one of the injectors is leaking. Of course, at this point you already suspect that the FPR is leaking, so it wouldn't work until you've eliminated the FPR as a possible culprit.

Thanks MrShorty, somehow I was convinced it was sequential injection. Good advice on the fuel pressure test, I'll have to try that after I do the FPR. One word of advice to those that read this, the FPR that's on my vehicle now was purchased at autozone less than 3 years ago, not more than 20k mi. Not a very good life span, when the one before it lasted 130k.

Yea! I have the same dang porblem w/my 91, My injectors are fine and I bought a new fpr from autozone, and it ran better for awhile, but after 2000 miles on the new fpr, it's doing it again, darn thing. And I'm getting 13-15 mpg, pretty sick! I've ran bg44k through the fuel system, new plugs, wires, clean air filter, synthetic oil every 3k. flushed out the cooling system. Seems pretty :thumbdwn: to me, when I baby my exploder adn she gets only 13-15 mpg :( . reminds me of girls, they run good for awhile, then all the sudden you can't figure out what the heck turned em off! :roll:

At times I can't figure out why guys would buy aftermarket parts... perhaps it's because I work for a dealer, and see how much better factory parts are... was there really that much of a price difference to buy from "autozone"... we don't have those up here, but I have learned to stay away from the aftermarket nonetheless...

Back