• Register Today It's free!

Idle/Tension Pulley Mount

meanween

Reaction score
City, State
oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer
Hello...I am new to site. I have done quite a bit of searching on my issue but can only find a few that are similar, though not specific enough to my problem.

Additionally, thanks for any information and if I missed a thread relating to my issue...please point me there, if possible.

I lost power to my 1994 Explorer. I pulled to shoulder, shut it down and popped hood. My idle pulley had unseated itself, (bolt and pulley) became lodged in the fan and after inspecting the bearings it looks like the bushing maybe got shredded and seized the bearings up, causing it to spin off the mount.

OK. So after getting flustered with what options I had in the middle of nowhere with no service on my phone, I decided to just remove the serpentine belt and drive it towards home, stopping periodically to let it cool.

Now looking at where the idle pulley mounts I am seeing a lot of metal shavings and the threads just don't look right to me to just throw another pulley on it. It started making noise before this happened. the temp. outside had dropped dramatically a couple days before and stayed that way.

At first I attributed the temp. change to part of the problem but now it looks like the bolt itself is somewhat bent and probably was the cause of it coming off.

I can't find any info on the housing/mount plate that these tension/idle pulleys mount to and I am afraid that I will need to replace that mount, that the alternator sits on top of and is bolted to.

Sorry for the long-winded first post..just wanted to give as much lead-in info and explanation of events as I could.

Thanks in advance for any help or info on this.

Hello...I am new to site. I have done quite a bit of searching on my issue but can only find a few that are similar, though not specific enough to my problem....

... I am afraid that I will need to replace that mount, that the alternator sits on top of and is bolted to....

You probably didn't find much on the bracket because I would think they rarely go bad.

The bracket should be readily available in a junkyard. The last 20 or so cars I've seen in the junkyard all had that bracket.

Sent you a PM.

Back