• Register Today It's free!

Idler pulley bolt

Scotts96sploder

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer 5.0 rwd
Anyone know where I can buy the proper bolt for this? I’m actually a little impressed with this. Clearly this fell off at some point as it’s the wrong pulley and there is blue lock tight on the fabricated bolt.

BB3E10BF-F6F2-42F7-AA23-414DDC4565D6.jpeg

22B14824-26A8-455E-B97F-4AF820902034.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh weird, ok. I don’t know where this pulley came from, it has a flange on both sides where as OE has none. It’s not a big deal, this one is not why I have this apart. My tensioner pulley bearings are bad and I figured I would check them all/replace while it was apart. Thanks!

I kinda figured it would look something like this maybe.

Wow! Ok thanks bro! I’m having a fun time with this fix, bought all three pulleys, the one for the tensioner didn’t fit (still running that rigged up bolt on the idler) so I bought a whole gates tensioner. Installed it and the pulley bolt stripped out when I tried to install the belt! Lol so I found the oe part number from ford and found one for $40 on amazon.
Motorcraft BT40 Tensioner https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CA5372/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MCElEb5TDDTBX

Update: the amazon parts appear to be legit. Just dropped this factory tensioner in, only started it up but I think it’s good. The part and box looked like ford dealer parts.

21A10B9E-31E3-4B70-BDF7-77499AFFAE66.jpeg

I've got a stuck bolt or a seized bolt on my idler pulley 97 Ford Explorer XLT control track I've seen a lot of ideas not sure what's the best idea.

I've got a stuck bolt or a seized bolt on my idler pulley 97 Ford Explorer XLT control track I've seen a lot of ideas not sure what's the best idea.
Depending on how far you want to go and how long the vehicle can be down, there are a lot of options. General escalation method would probably be best. Soak it down with penetrant, let it sit (overnight if you can) heat it up, juice/heat/juice/heat etc. If you can reach, wack the top of the bolt head one good time, and then with a breaker bar or equivalent tighten the bolt slightly. Yes, turn it the wrong way first, just a hair. That will usually break it free.
If that doesn’t work, differential heating/cooling might. Heat the material around the bolt and use a can of duster upside down to freeze the bolt.
After that you’re into breaking and drilling territory.
Good luck!

Anyone know where I can buy the proper bolt for this? I’m actually a little impressed with this. Clearly this fell off at some point as it’s the wrong pulley and there is blue lock tight on the fabricated bolt.

View attachment 177669

View attachment 177670
Looks like they tried to create a "Shoulder Bolt." Do a search on "Shoulder Bolt." I found McMaster-Carr has quite a selection & in my experience, Ace Hardware has about the best selection of fasteners of all brick & mortar stores. You may need a Grade 8 bolt for this application.

Thanks @MrClamps ! That was 3 years ago. I just used that cobbled bolt and it’s working fine. If I ever have to take it apart again, I will definitely remember SHOULDER bolt.

Back