• Register Today It's free!

Idler pulley needs to be replaced

PEAR0119

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4.0 4x4
Well after fixing the front end cluck I thought I would move on to fixing a slight grinding noise coming from the front of the engine. Turns out that there is quite a bit of playing in the idler pulley (I can wiggle it back and forth). So my question is, is there anything that I am going to have to disconnect (besides the drive belt) in order to take this off? Or is there enough room in there to get a 1/2 ratchet in there and pull the pulley off.

Oh yes, I have the 4.0 V6

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, its a tight fit but you can get it off. My belt tensioner was the culprit for my grinding noise.

Well, I was able to get it off, there was movement in the idler pulley so it needed to be replaced. It quieted down the engine a bit but there is still a noise up there. Weird thing is that at idle everything seems normal, but when I start driving it sounds sorta like piston slap/detonation. Its very random and changes with RPMs, it comes and goes and goes and comes. I'm thinking its the tensioner, since it changes with RPMs and is kinda random. This only happens when the engine is cold too, seems to be the tensioner spring itself. I will probably replace it as its the next cheapest part that fits the noise description.

Well, found the source of the remaining noise up front (I think). I got home, popped the hood and took a look at the tensioner, everything looked OK good tension on the belt and all. Well, once I grabbed a hold of it there is a lot of play side to side on that pulley. Now, my question is, do I replace the entire tensioner? Or, do I replace only the pulley? The difference is about $30.

Replace the whole thing. Its only $30 more.

I think thats what I am going to do. I guess they were bound to fail at one point or another. Since I am keeping the old parts all I need to do is replace the bearings in the pulleys and should be good to go.

Well, now that I have replaced the idler pulley and the tensioner there is still a rattling/squealing noise coming from the engine. Isn't it amazing how you find other noises once you put on quiet pulleys.

Well it sure looks like it is the alternator. I took the belt off and turned the alternator clockwise only to hear a slight bearing grinding noise. Now if I turn the alternator counter clockwise the thing squeals like a damn pig. The grinding noise for sure is coming from both the front and rear bearings but the squealing noise is for sure only coming from the rear bearing.

Now my question is, can these symptoms cause a sort of timing chain slap/detonation noise? This noise is only heard when the car is below operating temperature. once the X is at operating temperature I can barely hear a thing from the engine bay. Also, is there an easy way to press new bearings in or will I have to get a new alternator?

Any help is appreciated.

Back