Idler Pulley removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Idler Pulley removal

Tony H

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
New York, Wading River (that's on Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie Bauer
Dumb question but I never had to do it before.

I want to change my Idler Pulley. Obviously the same Bolt you use to take the tension off the Belt is the bolt you need to take off to get the pulley off.

Why doesn't the bolt loosen when you use it to take the belt off?
How tight is that sucker since it doesn't loosen everytime I take the Belt off?

Is there a way to lock the Tensioner in the 'loose belt' position? I always have a tough time with the lower Bolt that holds the tensioner assy to the engine block... the Pulley is in the way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The bolt is reverse threaded, right-loose, left-tight. Take it and the pulley off and it makes everything else a breeze.

Reverse threaded!!!

Of course. That would make sense.

It's easiest to take the whole Tensioner assembly off the car?

I checked it last night. It feels a bit lose. Befor eI have a problem... I'll just change it. I bought the 'X' with 183K on it. It now has 256K I don't know if it was ever changed.

You can replace the whole tensioner for cheap, don't need to try to get the pulley off the tensioner.

If you are going to replace just the pulley, then remove the pulley bolt only. If you are going to replace the whole tensioner assembly, then removing the pulley bolt and pulley will make it easier to get at the tensioner bolt under the pulley. It is always possible to get it out without removing the pulley, but its a pain.

Easy task. i've had the Tensioner out a few times. I was just curious about the Puller Bolt. Did it last night. Piece of cake. Through the Tensioner in a vise, two seconds on the Pulley bolt (turning it the correct direction).
Only issue was My wife just pulled in with the car so the engine was F'n Hot.

P.S. the Pulley bearing was pretty noisey, not horrible but Better do it now then have it desintergrate when I'm many miles from home.

Thanks

Does this also apply to removing the idler pulley? Is it also reverse threaded? I have a replacement pulley and want to swap it out. I also purchased a tensioner but I know I how to remove it.

IMG_8667.jpeg

Idler bolt is regular rotation

Tensioner pulley Bolt
Is reverse rotation (on some
Models)

Your tensioner assembly comes off the engine with 2-3 bolts you may have to remove Pulley first to get at the last Bolt

Idler bolt is regular rotation

Tensioner pulley Bolt
Is reverse rotation (on some
Models)

Your tensioner assembly comes off the engine with 2-3 bolts you may have to remove Pulley first to get at the last Bolt
Thanks. I was able to remove and replace with a new one the tensioner but need to remove the idle pulley. My socket was too long and would hit the fan so I have to get a shorter socket

IMG_8728.png

IMG_8722.jpeg

Try a box wrench

Back