• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

IDS programming

diveguy7

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer PIU
So I have gone back and forth with my local dealer on correcting a few things on my 2016 PIU. Specifically enabling the autolock and installing one of Jason’s patches to enable the sun sensor for DRL. (Have tried Forscan, I done a TON of other things, but it won’t fix these)

They *will not* budge on installing any aftermarket software.

Does anyone in Central/East Florida know of a dealer that is open to this or have access to IDS software?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I believe all dealers have access to IDS. I'm not surprised that they won't do anything with aftermarket software. It could be a 'liability' issue. You are not the first one to be turned down.

Peter

diveguy7

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer PIU
I figured, but I imagine someone has had better luck than me out there....hopefully someone in FL?

pdxgeek

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 PIU EB
16 Focus RS
You may be able to accomplish some of this with Forscan and a good bluetooth or wired OBDII connector like the OBDLink MX. I changed a myriad of things like unlocking rears/hatch with fob. I believe mine autolocks as well currently, so may be able to find that setting in Forscan.

diveguy7

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer PIU
Have an OBD link and Forscan and have already done many tweaks to my PIU. I have tried to toggle the autolocks and proper DRL/sunsensor operation but no luck....

KayGee

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 & '17 PIU
So I have gone back and forth with my local dealer on correcting a few things on my 2016 PIU. Specifically enabling the autolock and installing one of Jason’s patches to enable the sun sensor for DRL. (Have tried Forscan, I done a TON of other things, but it won’t fix these)

They *will not* budge on installing any aftermarket software.

Does anyone in Central/East Florida know of a dealer that is open to this or have access to IDS software?

Thanks in advance for any help.
What do you mean when you say "correcting a few things on your PIU?"

Dealers and Ford (and their software/tools) aren't there to help you/us bypass their process and add features to a vehicle that wasn't ordered in a certain way (although they will typically help with some basic stuff like adding keyfobs for rke). I would venture that most won't help as it probably violates their terms of use for the software, not to mention the liability previously mentioned.

If you find a dealer that will do it, that's great. If you don't, you will have to do your best with forscan or make do without the feature.

diveguy7

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer PIU
Poor choice of words - i am referring to a “grayed out” autolock menu item in the IPC that I simply wanted to enable.

edougawa

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Police SUV
Maybe you need to find a friend who can lend you a IDS.

I made the auto lock function selectable on the IPC (with ForScan) but still seems like it is not doing anything after being enabled. Maybe it is something more than just a setting (just like the aux switches setting).

By the way, I don't see the link between the sun sensor and the DRL (maybe you mean auto-lamp?). I got my auto-lamp switch and also DRL working (although I'm too lazy to add a sun sensor) with ForScan.

KayGee

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 & '17 PIU
Some features require changes in more than one module.