IDS programming | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

IDS programming

diveguy7

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer PIU
So I have gone back and forth with my local dealer on correcting a few things on my 2016 PIU. Specifically enabling the autolock and installing one of Jason’s patches to enable the sun sensor for DRL. (Have tried Forscan, I done a TON of other things, but it won’t fix these)

They *will not* budge on installing any aftermarket software.

Does anyone in Central/East Florida know of a dealer that is open to this or have access to IDS software?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe all dealers have access to IDS. I'm not surprised that they won't do anything with aftermarket software. It could be a 'liability' issue. You are not the first one to be turned down.

Peter

I figured, but I imagine someone has had better luck than me out there....hopefully someone in FL?

You may be able to accomplish some of this with Forscan and a good bluetooth or wired OBDII connector like the OBDLink MX. I changed a myriad of things like unlocking rears/hatch with fob. I believe mine autolocks as well currently, so may be able to find that setting in Forscan.

Have an OBD link and Forscan and have already done many tweaks to my PIU. I have tried to toggle the autolocks and proper DRL/sunsensor operation but no luck....

So I have gone back and forth with my local dealer on correcting a few things on my 2016 PIU. Specifically enabling the autolock and installing one of Jason’s patches to enable the sun sensor for DRL. (Have tried Forscan, I done a TON of other things, but it won’t fix these)

They *will not* budge on installing any aftermarket software.

Does anyone in Central/East Florida know of a dealer that is open to this or have access to IDS software?

Thanks in advance for any help.
What do you mean when you say "correcting a few things on your PIU?"

Dealers and Ford (and their software/tools) aren't there to help you/us bypass their process and add features to a vehicle that wasn't ordered in a certain way (although they will typically help with some basic stuff like adding keyfobs for rke). I would venture that most won't help as it probably violates their terms of use for the software, not to mention the liability previously mentioned.

If you find a dealer that will do it, that's great. If you don't, you will have to do your best with forscan or make do without the feature.

Poor choice of words - i am referring to a “grayed out” autolock menu item in the IPC that I simply wanted to enable.

Maybe you need to find a friend who can lend you a IDS.

I made the auto lock function selectable on the IPC (with ForScan) but still seems like it is not doing anything after being enabled. Maybe it is something more than just a setting (just like the aux switches setting).

By the way, I don't see the link between the sun sensor and the DRL (maybe you mean auto-lamp?). I got my auto-lamp switch and also DRL working (although I'm too lazy to add a sun sensor) with ForScan.

Some features require changes in more than one module.

Poor choice of words - i am referring to a “grayed out” autolock menu item in the IPC that I simply wanted to enable.
I have the same "issue" I want to enable autolocks, neither ForScan or IDS will allow it on a PIU, I will bet it is just a byte in the BCM, but I haven't had time to dig into it.

I have the same "issue" I want to enable autolocks, neither ForScan or IDS will allow it on a PIU, I will bet it is just a byte in the BCM, but I haven't had time to dig into it.
I would suggest that the actual function of auto locks would be in, for example, the BMCarea ...the IPC would only give you the options or ability to change them in the instrument panel cluster. I have read that auto locks can be turned on...but must be enabled on every engine restart in the PIU.

DRLs are different from the sun load sensor. I turned mine off last night via Forscan. The setting was towards the bottom of the list in the BCM DRL settings. (if memory serves) I had to "disable vehicle DRL". If needed, I can look next time I hook it up.

The sun load sensor needs to be installed and enabled, and the auto headlight switch needs to be installed for auto headlights. You DO NOT need the sensor for DRL.

"Ford Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS): The Ford Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) will be the only equipment that provides complete diagnostic coverage of current and future Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles in North America. The IDS package replaces the Worldwide Diagnostic System (WDS)."

Peter

Back