If I absolutely had to... Could it be done? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If I absolutely had to... Could it be done?

I've got a 94 Explorer, 4x4, 3.73 gears, with the "tow package"... I've also got a 7,000lb travel trailer. If I install a class three hitch, and an auxiliary trans cooler, would it be possible to tow this thing about 20 down the road?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could but its not the best idea to put that much stress on basically a 1/4 ton vehicle. A weight distributing hitch is about necessary to travel over 40 mph safely.

I've got a w/d hitch, and I would be going 40mph tops.

I wouldn't recommend it but if you absolutely had to, then I suppose. Are you looking to do it just that one time? I would be worried most about overloading axles and braking. What are your axle ratings and do you have brakes on your trailer?

Should you, no, can you, sure.. Just be smart about it..

Assuming you don't have too much tongue weight you could pull it across town etc for a one time thing.. Our '92 did something similar many years ago and things didn't go kaboom..

5909809027_177d815a9f_o.jpg
towing the Van with the explorer by maniak_az, on Flickr

I had no issues if I kept the speed down. I also did it during the less traffic part of the day...

~Mark

Just check out your suspension and steering parts as well as tires and pressure to be safe.

and a 7000lb camper sounds huge. Is there any way to reduce weight?

and a 7000lb camper sounds huge. Is there any way to reduce weight?

Not really. It's a 30' dual axle trailer. With all the holding tanks empty, it right around 7k. It would be just the one time, and there's never much traffic in the area. I may just rent a u-haul truck if I have to move it. I'm trying to sell sell it and get one that's about 15'-20'. I think the old girl could handle 2500lbs just fine.

I'm feeling lucky today so if it's just that one time, I would go for it. Ask me tomorrow and I might tell you you're crazy.

Oh wait, feeling is gone. Ya, rent a truck…LOL.

Back