If I never change a balljoint again.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If I never change a balljoint again....

JuBean

Reaction score
City, State
Roxborough CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
I would be happy!
Do you guys have any tricks to getting the lower joint out without red neck engineering? The bushings on my upper control arms were shot so I decided to change all of the joints and while the upper is easy enough the sadistic engineers at Ford did not leave room for a receiving cup on the lower side of the arm hence the picture below. Is there a better tool for the next time I need to change these?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 220

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The C-Clamp tool is only used to install the lowers in my shop.

To remove the BJ, heat the stud with a plumbers propane or Map torch for a minute or so, brace the LCA and hit the top of the BJ with a 3 or 5 lb maul hammer until it pops out. Just make sure to get the C-clip off before smacking it. LOL!

This is not REDNECK, this is the way to get er done. ;)

Can't tell but did you remove the snap ring that holds the balljoint on? Just asking. If you have a harbor freight near you go get their electric impact gun (Life Saving Tool), I've used this on tons of projects and saved my knuckles, patience, the neighborhood from hearing my yell and curse for hours, etc... LOL I used HF's balljoint tool kit and their electric impact gun, it was easy.

For the lower balljoint lube the hell out of it with PB Blaster or WD40 and than take a BFH to the top of it and it should pop right out. Place a block of wood under the lower control arm or a jack stand with a piece of wood so it stays still and doesn't rebound after the hit.

LOL, Gman beat me to it while I was typing and trying to contain my 3 year old from destroying the house.

Lol I did use the BFH to beat on the press once it was loaded and that finally got them to move.

Cool, glad to hear you got them out.

Back