If I wanted to upgrades power wires with a fuseable link what do I do? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If I wanted to upgrades power wires with a fuseable link what do I do?

SwaintaN

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Carey, Ohio (Georgia Grown)
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
I upgraded the wire from the alternator to (sorry dont know technical term) the round unit in front of the fuse box. Now there is two wires coming out of it, one looks like maybe 16 gauge and a 12 gauge but both go into same fuseable link, if I wanted to upgrade those both to 8 gauges, how do I replace the fuseable links

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you talking about thing on teh front of the fusebox? Like it has two bolts and a flat piece that slides over it?

I think I know what you're speaking of, but I'll wait for the picture before I go yappin again.

Im impatient here is what im talking about, you can see at the bottom of the Round Part there is two wires in one big fuseable link

picture.php

Only one of those is fused the one on the right goes to the starter and the other goes to the alt and the one under the alt with red tape, goes to the battery.you can cut that black thing to free the two wires.you got to get a new battery post that alows you to clamp wires down instead of one that has the wires premade into it.get ride of both wires,to the battery and to the alt.take a new 8g replace the wire that has red tape.then you got to get a stereo fuse thing,ill take a pic in the morning,run a new 8g to the alt and put the fuse inline the wire that goes to the alt

The one with red tape is a 4ga to the alternator. its got tape on it cause the ring terminal i had on it after soldering it was really long so i taped it.

Yea your right,just double checked.then you allready got ride of the fuseable link.did you put a fuse inline,that black thing is not a fuse link.if you got a 4g going to the alt you should have a 4g going to the battery.is that the only wire you have going to the alt

yeah I have an ANL fuse on it. so the black part with the two wires coming out of it, is not a fuseable link? then I can just carefully cut it to upgrade the wire to the battery? also should there be a fuse on the line that goes to the starter?

Nope just rubber,I'm in the middle of doing this right now.the little wire on the right is protected by the relay but the main wire coming off the battery and going to the starter I would of thought it should have a fuse.I was having problems with my truck starting and was getting power to the starter so bought a new starter put it in and didn't work,it was the motor ground.but my dad went out to pull the new starter to test it and shorted the wire to the frame and it welded its self to the frame till the wire melted in half needless tl save I'm glad everything else had fuses,that why I'm in the middle of replacing all these wires and fuses!!!!:)haha

Yea, that black thing on my disintegrated. That large wire in it was going bad and so was the skinny wire, so I just completely reran both wires with that brand new jank.

I never saw a fusible link anywhere though when I started replacing grounds and power wires. So I don't know where they originally were or what they actually look like.

I may have a similar( or not)problem. I recently tried to 'jump start' my starter and in the process shorted out a cpl of things.My windows won't go up or down,radio won't come on,a/c won't work and dashboard lights aren't working....exterior and interior lights are working. I checked all the fuses on the inside and the main fuses and relays inside the motor and are all ok. Somebody told me it might be a fusible link problem.Where are these wires and how do i identify them individually.I have 99 Explorer Sport.

Thanks in advance.This is my first time posting.This site kicks all kinds of ass!

Thanks for your reply.I was just hopping it would be a 'simple fix'.

acillatem74 did you get your problem fixed... i know this is an older thread... but i ran into it again when i started back up on working on the ex. i never got to do my wires.. just now able to get around to it...

Back