If the Explorer battery goes dead, how do you get the hood open? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If the Explorer battery goes dead, how do you get the hood open?

DamonH

Reaction score
City, State
Fate, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
As the title suggests, if the main battery goes dead and the doors are locked, how do you get inside to pop the hood and replace the battery?

I'm sure there's a trick somewhere. I've searched the forum and only see questions about the key transmitter being dead, not the battery on the vehicle itself.

I'm never near my Explorer when I think about it so I haven't checked the manual yet, just hoping someone can enlighten me. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They dont have a key to open the door?

The best way I've found to "enter" a vehicle is to get a wedge shaped object, like a wooden door stop or even cut one out of a block yourself. Jam it between the door and the roof and hit it with your hand. It should open enough for you to get a bent coat hangar in there or a car antenna and either hit the lock button, or if the battery is stone dead, pull up the lock or pull on the interior door handle
Good luck.

And if you MUST break a window, break a big one!!!! The little vent and quarter glasses are usually not covered by insurance. Learned that one the hard way

As the title suggests, if the main battery goes dead and the doors are locked, how do you get inside to pop the hood and replace the battery?

I'm sure there's a trick somewhere. I've searched the forum and only see questions about the key transmitter being dead, not the battery on the vehicle itself.

I'm never near my Explorer when I think about it so I haven't checked the manual yet, just hoping someone can enlighten me. ;)
You use the key that is in the fob. That will unlock the door. That is why there is also a key lock in the door. No trick required.:)

Peter

^^^^^ that sounds way easier too^^^

You use the key that is in the fob.

What dock do i need to goto to get the key? :eek:

I hate having to roll the window down, reach outside, insert the key, unlock the door, and pull the handle before I can get out...seems like there should be some way to easily unlock and open the door from the inside...... ;)

What dock do i need to goto to get the key? :eek:

I hate having to roll the window down, reach outside, insert the key, unlock the door, and pull the handle before I can get out...seems like there should be some way to easily unlock and open the door from the inside...... ;)
That sounds a lot easier than trying to pull a fuse.:D
I guess some owners may not realize they actually have a key located within the fob.

Peter

Break a big window, if your gonna go, might as well go big!!

What is this key thing that you speak of?

Break a big window, if your gonna go, might as well go big!!

What is this key thing that you speak of?
For those that have push button start and the door handle that you can lock/unlock by touch, there is an actual key located within the FOB. This key, when popped out, will allow you to open the driver's door and can also be used for the glove box. It can not however be used to start the vehicle.

Peter

Or read the Owner's Manual before you get the dead battery.... It talks about the key in the fob. Amazing how many of these are answered in the Owner's Manual.

:hammer:

Or read the Owner's Manual before you get the dead battery.... It talks about the key in the fob. Amazing how many of these are answered in the Owner's Manual.

Problem is that his owners manual was in the glove box when the battery died!

RonJr, can you please move to Southern California and open your own delaership or atleast take over the service department of one out here!! I would greatly appreciate it:D

cnsheets,

I would love to. Been there a couple of times and I like the weather. FYI, the Owner's manuals are available online from your smartphone, too. Just google it when you are in trouble. Easier than talking to a service writer that is going to do the same thing...

:chug:

The problem with that is if everyone always read the manual, this might not be a very active Forum.;)
I must admit I have gone through the manual several times. In fact it has always been sitting here next to the computer and I still find the odd thing I didn't know, or forgot. Information overload.

Peter

The problem with that is if everyone always read the manual, this might not be a very active Forum.;)
I must admit I have gone through the manual several times. In fact it has always been sitting here next to the computer and I still find the odd thing I didn't know, or forgot. Information overload.

Peter

Yes! Information overload. After more trips than I can remember going out to the Ex to look in the manual, to read something I've looked up and read before, I finally got smart and downloaded it and put a shortcut on the desktop.:D

You use the key that is in the fob. That will unlock the door. That is why there is also a key lock in the door. No trick required.:)

Peter

Ugh ... thanks. I knew I was just being an idiot. Yesterday I would have sworn ours had no keyhole because everytime I "checked" for one I glanced at the passenger side door handles and cargo hatch, never checking the one door that had it (drivers). :confused: Hopefully you'll really get a laugh that I just about broke my FOB trying to get the "compartment" open. I tried pulling the back off before realizing the key slides out the top.

For anyone else with having the same issues as I had, here's a pic of how your key comes out!

keyfob.JPG

Here's some info from the Owner's manual. I even showed you how to change the battery in the fob without destroying the rest of it... :D

The intelligent access key also
contains a removable mechanical key
blade that can be used to unlock the
driver door. Slide the release on the
back of the transmitter to release the
key blade, then pull the blade out.
Note: Your vehicle’s back-up keys
were issued with a security tag that
provides important vehicle key cut
information. Keep the tag in a safe
place for future reference.

Intelligent Access Transmitter (Replacing the battery)
1. Remove the backup key from the transmitter.
2. Twist a thin coin in the slot
hidden behind the backup key slot to
remove the battery cover.
3. Remove the old battery.
4. Insert the new battery. Refer to the instruction inside the transmitter
for the correct orientation of the battery. Press the battery down to make
sure it is fully in the housing.
5. Snap the battery cover back onto the transmitter and install the
backup key.

Back