If you could take any other vehicle offroad excluding an X, what would it be? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

If you could take any other vehicle offroad excluding an X, what would it be?

rokke17

Reaction score
City, State
Minn/Mich
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT 4 Door 4X4
I took my lowered Porsche 944 mudding, it was cool.
I smoothed that mud out good, and it only took me a half hour or so to clean the mud out of my radiator and front suspension.
Granted the mud was a road and not deep at all, but hey my front end is only 2 or 2.5 inches off the ground:D

Chris

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

SaleenEXP

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Boca Raton, Fl.
Year, Model & Trim Level
Mountaineer
Originally posted by rokke17
I took my lowered Porsche 944 mudding, it was cool.
I smoothed that mud out good, and it only took me a half hour or so to clean the mud out of my radiator and front suspension.
Granted the mud was a road and not deep at all, but hey my front end is only 2 or 2.5 inches off the ground:D

Chris
So rokke17, can we add you to the very small list of just expo5.0 and I that want to drive a Porsche 959 Rally edition!?;) I would hope so:D

off topic - how do you like your 944? A friend of my moms has a modified Ruf Porsche Turbo and its absolutley sick fast!

<

Flounder

Owns 10,000 Marbles
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'17 F-150 FX4
Don't know if you guys know Oshkosh, but I want to wheel one of those military 8x8 trucks... the ones with the 4 wheels up front, four in the back... That would be fun :)

<

greenhornet3147

Reaction score
City, State
lawrenceville, nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer XLT
My pick

I would like to take out the H1 but with Mattracks system on it to see if I could get it stuck.

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

<

<

RFR2212

Typing Police
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
In the mug by Chitown
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 JEEP Wrangler
OOOOH OOOOOOH! How bout a Unimog ON mattracks! BITCHIN! Look goofy, but that'd be some bitchin clearance!

<

Skugga

Reaction score
City, State
Boyertown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XL
I was also thinking about a Unimog or a Hummer H1 but I would also like to take the Mercedes G500 offroad just because it costs so much and I want to see if it is as good as people say.

<

jjue

Elite Explorer<br>sXc Member
Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Nissan Titan CC LE
Assalanche!!!!!! I would also have a good stopwatch so that I can see if I can get it to fall apart in less than a 1 minute.

Hmmm, on a more serious note, I have already taken a Humvee (yes, it was military edition) on North Farm at MSU, so I guess a built early Bronco, a real Landcruiser (not the yuppy-mobile) of today, or an F-150 4x4 SWB 351W.

<

Dannyboy

Other Make & Models Mod
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
43°48′48″N 91°13′59″W
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4 do'
I like to see built Land Rover Defender 90's and would like to build one of those, as for the hummer, they don't flex -actually won little stiffy award at an event I was at on rti, but are built to military, not wheelin specs. On a side note, the shafts on hummers can be changed without removing the rotar -possibly the tire like a ten minute job- which is cool cause if you are in battle I wouldn't want to change my front axles

<

davesexplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Central PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F350 7.3
hummer would be fun, but why not a TANK, you would make the trail wider if you wanted, and instead of crawling over rocks just blow'em up :D

but seriously, id just love to take a blazer zr2 off-road, just to see how it compares

<

Soundguy01tx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Katy, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Look at the "Check this out..." thread for more info on this. Some local High School Kid has it, and its pretty sweet.

10681.jpg

Fun Fun Fun...:eek:
--bryan

<

SaleenEXP

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Boca Raton, Fl.
Year, Model & Trim Level
Mountaineer
are the Unimog's street legal? I remember Car and Driver testing one a few months ago and they said this would be their vehicle of choice if stranded somewhere off-road or in a jungle. Just from looking at it, I think a Humer would be the only one to keep up with it off-road.

<

rgiles

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT, '02 Limited V6
A Lifted modified Jeep Wrangler or an old Landcruiser that looks like the wrangler. After watching them out 4x4 my explorer with ease, and using them to Winch me out, I would like to give them a try. It's narrower than the Hummer so it has some advantages for certain kinds of terain.

<

<

94EBexplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 EB 4door
jeep? my truck will out wheel jeeps.... as for hummers... they are HORRIBLE wheelers.... go ahead take one in the woods... you arent gonna go anywhere.... just for the fact they are wide as hell.... they are awesome for water crossings... being it is diesel. but any diesl is good in water. and they are propane inject as No2 is to gas.... and they are easy to work on.... but they are not reliable and i would hate having one off road.

<

BAYDOG

Reaction score
City, State
Phelps NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Sport
I'll be Honest, if I couldn't have my Explorer, then I would get the Nissan Extera. They are awsome looking!!

<

Runnin'OnEmpty

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Southeast USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
I would choose the Hummer (military version), if I wanted to be sure to get back home from the boonies.

Second choice would be a 78/79 Bronco. They were very capable off-roaders in stock form. (It just so happens that I have a 78 XLT Trailer Special, and it'll go anywhere I wanna go.....)

:smoke:

<

tenikiwon

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Yakima, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 F250/Zuk twins
It would have to be a APC (Armored Personnel Carrier) if we can count them. I've ridd'n in them a few times and they can move, turn, etc. an M1-A1 would be cool too, just too big.

Hummers H1 and H2.

I've always loved them and still think the H1's are sweet. The H2's are ugly. From reading the H2s are suppose to be just as capable as the H1 but it's hard for me to belive.

I don't know what the difference in the Mil spec vs the Civilian spec H1s are (never driv'n a civilian one) but I know that the hummers can take some abuse and move quickly.

Most off-roaders take their time and try to find obsicals. this never happens in the military and usually something has cleared a path for them. They don't turn sharp, but do brake quickly and react quickly as high speeds. The Turbo desil sounds sweet , but military ones sound like they are going to fall apart.

Just my opinion.

<

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
My dads friend has a 1947 Dodge Power Wagon. 4 locked wheels, huge block and tackle built into the front bumper and geared super low. Top speed is 40mph:) He uses it to pull out his tractors(some 4x4) when they get stuck. I saw him pull a almost full hay wagon full of logs through a muddy field that would prob. leave my Ex stuck with no trailer. Unimogs are awesome tho. They are e-bay all the time.:p

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Look at this thing Dead Link Removed
Hard to beat 3 shift on the fly locked axles. Odd it only has a 4cyl.

<