If you had a second gen Explorer, what engine would you put in it? | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If you had a second gen Explorer, what engine would you put in it?

I could take the heat without AC when I was younger, but it's a bigger deal as you age. 105* was hot but tolerable when I was 18, I mowed yards. But now 85-90* feels way too hot to be without AC if you don't have to.
Fair enough, fair enough lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I cook the meat and my wife handles the rest.
Until ya bake cookies like this guy, none of us can talk! lol

FB_IMG_1661737187745.jpg

Actually I need Ac to for winters that windows not going to defrost very fast with just heat
Fair enough, I ain't got that to worry about here

Oh c'mon, been in Florida the whole 20 years I've been alive. House ain't had a/c for as long as I can remember, and every vehicle I've driven in the past 3 years, ain't had a/c, both my X and Silverado. 60 mph and the windows down lol
Vent helps, but ain't great. I would say you'd be fine, but I'm not willing to get struck by that lightning! lol
So yeah, I get that one, especially with the humidity lately

Anything from construction equipment, tractors, skid steers, etc. Millions of them out there so they can be had very cheap. The C4.4 was the 3054 back in the mechanical injection days
A 425 cat would be the best though. All mechanical, easily upgraded without a computer. Parts are all over America. You can pull a spring out of a Bic inkpen and fix the injector pump. Lol

I have heard that caterpillar forklifts have a 4 cylinder motor thst will bolt to the ranger 5speed. Would be a cool idea and something other than a Cummins.
Many of the Cat engines are SAE #3 so there are many adapters available. The 4.4L can be had in either perkins or Cat, mechanical or electronic. I wouldn't bolt it to a ranger transmission, power output would be 350-600 lb/ft of torque.
A 425 cat would be the best though. All mechanical, easily upgraded without a computer. Parts are all over America. You can pull a spring out of a Bic inkpen and fix the injector pump. Lol
B model 3406, The engine is 5 feet long and 3,000 lbs. This is a fantasy thread, but most of the suggestions could be pulled off, no way this one is possible.

basically you would be putting an explorer on an engine instead of the other way around LOL

Kinda like that Gen III around here with a 7.3 in it. Sure its in there and runs........but nothing else will fit like HEAT LOL

Last edited:

Kinda like that Gen III around here with a 7.3 in it. Sure its in there and runs........but nothing else will fit
That explorer is like a bigfoot sighting. We all know it exists and someday we might get some blurry photos from a distance of it.

Found it!!

G89NQ6n.jpg

he said he could add heat if needed, buy he also used an econoline intake so there is not FMIC, which is like weak sauce!! I love my van (01 7.3, no intercooler) but the first thing I would do to any 7.3 is add a big ol FMIC!!!!!

I like that, I did find the picture I wanted to see

the front suspension looks a little "stressed" the 7.3 block weighs 900#
The new 7.3 godzilla would be a far better fit LOL LOL

the front suspension looks a little "stressed" the 7.3 block weighs 900#
The new 7.3 godzilla would be a far better fit LOL LOL
The Godzilla would also motivate the explorer better with the 10 speed transmission behind it

it’s not just an overbore. It also often Speed Test starts with an aftermarket block with thicker walls to start with.

Last edited:

I'm not usually too bad, as said, I make it work. Vent itself can be a lifesaver lol
Hoping to get my AC fixed or replaced. July is a beast here. As for engines, I'd like the 5.0 with its stronger trans. But that would be for a future vehicle, if I find it. Mine's good except for the AC.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No AC is for slobs and lazy people who can only remove non-working items, instead of actually fixing things.
-Throwing down the gauntlet here, eh? Some of us are noobs, LOL Challenge accepted, though!

Back