If your 4WD switch looks like this AUTO, 4HI, 4LO then... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If your 4WD switch looks like this AUTO, 4HI, 4LO then...

Yomie, here is that picture i had, i found on it on my other computer, hope this helps.

Happy trails!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by PghBill
Having the switch that is the suject here piqued my interest. I've read all the posts, BUT ... What's the point of being able to have 'true' 2WD? Better mileage? Having a ride different from the one down road? My 91 XLT 4x4 5spd gets about 18 mpg around town. My recently acquired 97 XLT 4x4 auto gets about 16 mpg. Will the 97 match the 91 if I start snipping and splicing wires and switches?!?
Also, for the Control Trac, I understand that 'AUTO' works something like AWD up to about 35 mph. Are the 4x4 HI and 4x4 LO true 4x4 HI and LO, i.e, full power to both axles.:confused:

You are correct, sir! (to the second part)

Hello all,
So what I am getting is some of the explorers can't go two wheel drive from the factory? My 96 switch says 2wd,4high auto,and4low. buying it used was this a option when it was new or just a brain fart ford had to change them every year?

97 and up didn't have the option for 2wd, just AUTO, 4high and 4lo.

Happy trails!!

does anyone know anything about the AWD and will this work?? I have been thinking of this idea for a little while now. I hate taking my front driveshaft out when going to the dyno and this would solve my problem. I would also just like to be in 2wd on the street too- just use the AWD when i need it-

HELP

MY PROBLEM IS 2WD-4WDAUTO-4WD LOW

THERE IS NO 4WD HIGH

so in sand mud anything loose the 4wd kicks (slams) in and out of 4wd and sounds like its ripping the tranny out MAGIC CITY FORD DEALER says it is normal as the 4wd kicks in and out but it sucks... any info.

Originally posted by PUR PONY
does anyone know anything about the AWD and will this work?? I have been thinking of this idea for a little while now. I hate taking my front driveshaft out when going to the dyno and this would solve my problem. I would also just like to be in 2wd on the street too- just use the AWD when i need it-

I'm sorry to say but there is nothing you can do with your AWD t-case. The AWD t-case is completely mechanical and has no electrical connections that go to it.
You could do what I did and swap it out with a Control-Trac t-case. Theres alot to that though.

1995xlt--that's right about the kicking in. That's what AUTO does, it sends bursts of power to the front wheels until the back wheels get the traction they need.

Happy trails!!

I've been running my '98 in this mode for a year now. I modified my system at the transfer case by adding a double pole-double throw switch to disable both speed sensors. This automatically forces the system into 2wd.

It is true, to re-engage any of the 4wd modes you usually have to restart the engine. I just do it while I'm driving if it's necessary. If it's bad out I just put it in auto and flip the switch before I start the engine.

I received some info and wiring diagrams on this from Robert last year.

It works good and if you're a squirrel, you can spin the rear wheels pretty easy in this mode. It also got rid of the occasional shifting/thumping when the front wheels use to enage on hard acceleration.

You also have to get use to the two orange lights flashing every few minutes but it doesn't bother me anymore.

You defintatly have to alter your driving habits as well. I have had my 4x4 Auto disabled off and on for the last couple of months now. On one occasion when it was disabled and I was leaving work there was a little bit of water running down the gutter in front of our place. Traffic was approaching pretty quickly so I gassed it when I left the driveway. I forgot how much fun a power slide was :) It made me realize how often the Auto mode actually helps, even when I didn't know it was helping. Every other time I was in that situation, it just took off like there wasn't any water.

thanks jot, i did not know that,but now i do .hopefully it will work as well as mine does.

Anytime.

Happy trails!!

Hey gys would happen to be able to work on an 01 expedition the same way??? It has a AUTO, 4HI, 4LO switch. I know the thread is kind of old but if any one would be able to help me out it would be greatly appreacated.

I'm sure it would work, but i'm willing the bet the all of the wiring for the 4wd is totally different. The only way you could get this to work would be to get ahold of the wiring diagrams for that truck and find the torque on demand relay wire, like i did, going to the GEM module and then the rest should be the same as we all did. Good luck.

Happy trails!!

Originally posted by stadx2
Hey Guys,

This yellow wire you're talking about bypassing will work, but there is a better way.
This yellow wire coming from the GEM goes to the "Torque-on-Demand" or TOD solid state relay. This relay, when energized, allows power to flow to a heavy duty eletromagnetic clutch inside the trasfer case. The wire that feeds that transfer case clutch power from the TOD relay is a heavier (12-14)gauge brown colored wire. This is the right wire to switch because you won't need to "reset" the GEM by turning off the truck and on again, because you're not disabling the TOD relay, you're disabling the power to the electromagnetic clutch.
The best place to access this Brown wire is at connector C200 located under the driver's seat.
I also recommend using a standard 30 amp automotive relay to do the disconnecting because it is a fairly high current circuit.

I seem like an expert on this because I just finished swapping in a Control-Trac transfer case to my 98 V8 Explorer which of course, had that stupid AWD. Getting all the electronics to work was very educational!

stadx2,
will doing it this way keep the light's from flashing on the dash? also do you have any diagrams of the wireing under the drivers seat..

TIA

Yes, This will stop the lights from flashing.

I do have the wiring schematics for the C200 plug, but all you need to do is get a copy from you local Ford dealership.

In order to get at the brown wire under the driver's seat did you have to take the seat out or does the wire just run near it?

I have a 98 limited and the hi low and auto switch on the dash - what is teh benifit of doingthis trick - I know to have 2 wheel drive only - but why is that good?

Thanks - I know it is a silly question - guess I am not getting it - I know 2 whhel drive is sometimes fun because of torque at the 2 wheels only, is that all?

Ive found that having 2wd is alot better in the sand. I was down in the NJ pines about a month ago and i had to put it in 4hi so the front end wasnt constantly engaging. It would also be nice to turn when im out on the road without the front end binding.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some preliminary testing that I have been doing by running 4 tanks of gas with Auto disabled versus 4 tanks with it enabled and then back and forth again (and again, and again, ....) seems to show that I pick up about 1 1/2 - 2 MPG increase when I have my Auto 4x4 disabled. I was able to hit 300 miles on a tank for the first time with my Auto disabled. I had a lot more tanks in the 19-19.5 MPG area with it disabled versus a lot more tanks in the 17.5 - 18 MPG area in its normal mode. I haven't finished getting all my data and I am disguarding any data that is outside of my normal daily commute (off-roading trips, lots of city driving etc). Once I am satisfied that my results are accurate, I'll post them.

Back