IFab Air-Intake/X having probs. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

IFab Air-Intake/X having probs.

Reaction score
City, State
Coos Bay, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Eddie Buaer
Ok, so my x is finally getting somewhere. I posted a super long time ago about my tranny acting up and shure enough, she was toasted! Today she sits with a rebuilt tranny which was done about 8-10 days ago and with a butiful IFab Airintake that i bought with my left over money :D. I installed the intake yesterday (damn shes a buti) and wasnt able to test drive it due to having restrictions on my licsense (Stupid DMV). Today i took her for a cruise with my step dad and I was really disapointed in the way the throttle response was. It was really sluggish off the start which im pissed about, im woundering what would cause that? it never did it before with tha stock intake, only after i installed the new one. Also going up hills when i need to give tha X a little more throttle I can hear a rattle/ping. My step dad told me it could be the fuel injecters and or not enough octane. Any idea's on what the **** is wrong with my X after purchese'n a 200$ airintake would be nice.

PS. Its not IFabs fault, its Fords lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had an Ifab intake sitting in my garage for about a month now and planned on installing it tomorrow on my 92 Eddie Bauer. Will let ya know the results.

hehe same explorer! Mine sounds tight as hell when rev'd in neutral (looks tight t00). I just about crapd myself when i seen it in action on how sluggish it is.

Did you reset the computer?

My thoughts are that you didn't reset the computer, the MAS got dirty, you have an air leak somewhere in the intake system. It could also be something else but those pop in mind first.

Ty alec for the help. How would i reset the computer? Yes i have a leak were the MAS connects to the Cone, the gasket was warn down.

Also when the MAS was off I cleaned it :D

Fix that air leak.

As for the computer:
Disconnect the negative lead from the battery
Wait about 15 minutes
Reconnect the cables
Start the truck, let it idle for 10 minutes with all accessories off, including A/C
Drive around for a while at various speeds, being a bit aggressive with the motor.

Got mine installed today and so far it seems to running fine. I had the same problem with the gasket. I just took a sheet of the same type of gasket material and traced out the airfilter to MAF sensor adapter and made my own. Did you plug the two vacuum hoses from the old airbox? Dunno if that would affect it but ya might check.

im pretty sure you talking about the little hose's (2) that come off of the stock airbox. I put the plugs in them that came in the nutz and boltz bag, im still unsure why its sluggish.

Take those 2 hoses and open them back up. Then just ziptie them up out of the way somewhere. If you're able to, but them in the airstream going to your filter (not sure how your new kit is set up). If you can't do that, just get them up out of the way but still flowing. I don't think that's the problem, but I don't think they should be plugged.

Back