Ignition Fuse

ischilf

Reaction score
City, State
Three Forks
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Sport
Hello folks,

I have a 1998 Ford Explorer Sport 5 Speed with the 4.0 OHV. Last week I was driving back from town and got off the interstate. At that time my check engine light came on and my volt gauge started to indicate a draw as it was rapidly decreasing.

I took the vehicle to my shop and popped the hood where I saw smoke coming from the new starter. I removed the starter, had it tested and it did nothing during the test. I replaced the starter again but had no power when turned the key to the run position, found the ignition fuse blown (50 amp maxi fuse). I replaced the fuse and with the key in the run position fuse is good. Once I ty to crank it pops the fuse.

I have looked at the wiring going from the battery to the starter and there are no exposed wires or other signs of a short.

Could a bad starter be causing the fuse to blow? I am going to have this starter tested but if it is bad again I am very surprised but I would not be shocked.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thank you,

Ian

Hello folks,

I have a 1998 Ford Explorer Sport 5 Speed with the 4.0 OHV. Last week I was driving back from town and got off the interstate. At that time my check engine light came on and my volt gauge started to indicate a draw as it was rapidly decreasing.

I took the vehicle to my shop and popped the hood where I saw smoke coming from the new starter. I removed the starter, had it tested and it did nothing during the test. I replaced the starter again but had no power when turned the key to the run position, found the ignition fuse blown (50 amp maxi fuse). I replaced the fuse and with the key in the run position fuse is good. Once I ty to crank it pops the fuse.

I have looked at the wiring going from the battery to the starter and there are no exposed wires or other signs of a short.

Could a bad starter be causing the fuse to blow? I am going to have this starter tested but if it is bad again I am very surprised but I would not be shocked.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thank you,

Ian
Starter "did nothing" during test and you put it back in the vehicle? Why? Fail to understand. Anyhow, if 5-speed MANUAL, push-start is always a life-saver.

If your check engine light came on, I would get the codes read.

On the 98 power comes from the 50 amp maxi fuse goes to the plug in starter relay. This relay is in the same under
hood power box as the 50 amp maxi fuse. In the starter relay with the clutch pedal depressed and the key turned to start power is sent to the starter. Which has it's own relay on it.

You might try a different relay in the under hood power box. I am reading from the 98 factory wiring manual. I have a 98 sport 4.0 sohc auto trans.

When having electrical gremlins, I would remove and clean all battery connections and body grounds that you can find. Tighten them. examine the cables closely while doing this cleaning. Also the large power cable connection on the alternator.

DR

Starter "did nothing" during test and you put it back in the vehicle? Why? Fail to understand. Anyhow, if 5-speed MANUAL, push-start is always a life-saver.
I said I replaced the starter again. I did not put the same broken starter back in. I replaced the starter. I am sorry if I caused confusion.

Back