• Register Today It's free!

Ignition wire problem?

pitbulldell

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando,Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
I am on my second set Autolite platium wires. The problem is they keep arcing and causing a skip under a load.I did a tune-up autolite platium plugs and a set of the cheap $23 wires.Then a month later I got the skip.Changed the wires to the Autolite platium wires.Two months later skip is back.Changed the plugs,same skip.Open the hood at night and found the arcing(arcing along the wires and at the plugs).Exhanged the wires,week later skip is back.I seperated the wires and stoped the arcing along the wires but still arcing at the boot and plug.I even used that boot grease.

What set of wires do yall recommend to get rid of this problem?

Found these on Ebay for $35 what do you think?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-0...94863QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ebayphotohosting

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

with all the hassle your going through - I would just spent the money to get the dealer wires and their spark plugs. Would of saved you some time

-Drew

Remember this is a carbon core material and every time you bend them it breaks the core and increases the resistance leading to failure. Take a resistance reading on new wires they should be about 1200 Ohms failing wires are usually 7000 Ohms and up. Frequently what happens is as the resistance goes up the high voltage electricity tries to take the path of least resistance to ground and that is evidenced by the arcing under the hood you see and on a humid day it really flows. Your X will also get harder to start as the wires fail as well. I think some people are spending up to $200 for top end wires.

Papa said:
Remember this is a carbon core material and every time you bend them it breaks the core and increases the resistance leading to failure. Take a resistance reading on new wires they should be about 1200 Ohms failing wires are usually 7000 Ohms and up. Frequently what happens is as the resistance goes up the high voltage electricity tries to take the path of least resistance to ground and that is evidenced by the arcing under the hood you see and on a humid day it really flows. Your X will also get harder to start as the wires fail as well. I think some people are spending up to $200 for top end wires.
DO YOU KNOW OF A BRAND THAT IS KNOWN FOR BEING GOOD?

The OEM wires are working for me. I have 67k on the original wires and plugs and I averaged 17 MPG on my last tank of gas in mixed driving with 40 PSI in the tires.

Just put in new wire's and plug's, both Motorcraft, working great.

i need to do that very soon...

Back