Ilikemice's 1999 "Meerkat" registry | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ilikemice's 1999 "Meerkat" registry

Hi all. I figured I'd make a registry for my new ride! It was 180 miles away and managed to take 9 hours for the entire trip, including several KFC stops along the way.

I picked up a plush meerkat to put on the dash at a service station, and since the car is kind of meerkat coloured the name stuck.

I'll be needing these...

IMG_0114.jpg

Just getting onto the M25 going around London...

IMG_0116.jpg

STILL on the M25, but now it's gone dark. This is crossing the Thames...

IMG_0117.jpg

My friend's car was doing consistently good MPG throughout the journey...

IMG_0125.jpg

Pics of the car itself will come tomorrow... when it's less dark outside.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the 'Fuel Door <' label above the gas gauge. Nifty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Quick update. The green Ex needed to be turned around in the yard, but the battery was dead, so I spent a few hours pushing, towing and cursing until I could jump start it using the 'Kat. As you can see I had to get a little close for the jump leads to reach!

Newtyres.jpg

The 'Kat has also been suffering from pretty bad brake squeal and shuddery brakes. It now has newer rotors front and rear and new pads on the rear. I think new pads on the front will completely eliminate the squeal but I'm low on funds :(

Yikes. I didn't realise I'd given out so little information about this Explorer...

It was bought new in California in 1999, and when the owner moved back to the UK in 2001 he brought it with him. It has ALL the paperwork with it, including brochures and window sticker. Before I picked it up the previous owner sent me pics and videos of the car before it was brought over here. My favourite is this one:

MexicanHat.gif

Importing to the UK apparently cost under $300. It's hard to believe but that's according to an itemised bill here amongst the paperwork.

Docs.JPG

The reason I jumped at the chance of an XLT was I never liked the plastic fender flares and trim of the UK spec Explorers. To me, the XLT looks great and having to put up with left-hand drive is a price I'm willing to pay :D

Splorer2.JPG

Great price to import an X! As long as you dont have any dramas overtaking lorries on those country lanes. Great for parking in town tho' I bet!!! Cool pic's mate.

That's awesome that you have the original documents. It is a nice looking Ex.

This just squeaked through its latest MOT (stupid parking brake). Unfortunately due to a job change it's no longer my DD :(

I went on a road trip to the US a couple months ago and managed to find the location of the photo the previous owner sent. Setting Hen Butte, Valley Of the Gods, Utah.

Recreated with our rental Jeep that broke down twice.

I went on a road trip to the US a couple months ago and managed to find the location of the photo the previous owner sent. Setting Hen Butte, Valley Of the Gods, Utah.

Recreated with our rental Jeep that broke down twice.

oh wow! always so nuch fun to recreate these photos, almost feels like youre back in time! have done a few of those, oughta do more :D

Back