• Register Today It's free!

Illumination Wire?

Diemondrio63

Reaction score
City, State
Orwigsburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 B2,1995 Eddie Bauer
I have installed a Premium (am/fm cassette cd) factory stereo from a 98 Xplorer in my 95 Xplorer. It sounds great but I have no idea which wire is the illumination wire on the 98 stereo. I kept the two plugs by cutting a nice length of wire for my re-installation. I know which wire powers illumination on my 95 harness but that color doesn't exist on the 98 plug.

Any help would be appreciated. I use this vehicle primarily at nght so it kinda sucks for now!

Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure if this will work but i found something doing a search:

1998 Ford Explorer Stereo Wiring Constant 12V+ Light Green Switched 12V+ Yellow/Black Ground Black Illumination Light Blue/Red Dimmer n/a Antenna Trigger Orange/Blue Antenna Right Front Front Speakers 5" x 7" Doors Left Front (+) Orange/Light Green Left Front (-) Light Blue/White Right Front (+) Dark Green/Orange Right Front (-) White/Light Green Rear Speakers 5" x 7" Rear Door Left Rear (+) Gray/Light Blue Left Rear (-) Tan/Yellow Right Rear (+) Orange/Red Right Rear (-) Brown/Pink

I'm not sure if this will work but i found something doing a search:

1998 Ford Explorer Stereo Wiring Constant 12V+ Light Green Switched 12V+ Yellow/Black Ground Black Illumination Light Blue/Red Dimmer n/a Antenna Trigger Orange/Blue Antenna Right Front Front Speakers 5" x 7" Doors Left Front (+) Orange/Light Green Left Front (-) Light Blue/White Right Front (+) Dark Green/Orange Right Front (-) White/Light Green Rear Speakers 5" x 7" Rear Door Left Rear (+) Gray/Light Blue Left Rear (-) Tan/Yellow Right Rear (+) Orange/Red Right Rear (-) Brown/Pink

I shall try it later today... Thanks!

Did you cut the factory harness in the 95?

if not go to your local best buy and get these two harnesses.

To go into the '98 radio metra #71-1771

to plug into the factory harness in the '95 metra #70-5600

These will both connect color for color and there is NO need to cut any factory harnesses!

Harnesses cost extra $$, but that is one way to go.

The cheaper way would be to find what wires are what and you will never need a harness :) (Besides the harness that comes with your deck)

Finally fixed.

Believe it or not the lt blue/red wire wasn't the right one. I ended up finding the correct one and it was a red/black wire. That just didn't make sense being that the blue/red wire was the correct wire according to the 98 wire diagrams as posted above. Also being that it is a factory stereo. Oh well.

I do have a local stereo shop called 12volt dave's and he said he didn't have a harness for a factory radio just aftermarkets so I had considered that too.
Whatever to it now, the wires are all soldered and shrinked taped up so it doesn't look like my truck crapped shaghetti!

Thanks for all the help, I greatly appreciate it... :thumbsup:
Mark

Haha yeah, stock radios make NO SENSE! Nobody likes them :p

No offense hehe.

But good job, i'm glad you got it done. Gratz!

Back