I'm almost there... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm almost there...

phreaky_d

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer Ltd.
Hi, guys! So after many months of searching and saving up some money, I'm about to finally retire my old '95 Explorer XLT and get a new 2012 Explorer Limited! :party: It is a Ginger Ale Metallic color with Charcoal Black interior, Equipment Group 303A (with Ecoboost), and it has a dual panel moonroof, 20-inch polished aluminum wheels, second row dual bucket seats with console, all-weather floor mats, and a cargo shade. The build date on it is 12/11. I'm getting a GREAT deal on it and getting it for several thousand off the MSRP of $47,425!

This forum has been an excellent resource and I appreciate everyone's help with all my questions thus far. I have reviewed the TSB thread and I think everything checked out during my test drive (no A-pillar noise and I think the other TSBs only applied to certain cars made before 8/11). I have also ordered the key protector from the Jacket Store (thanks to whoever posted the info on that particular thread) and I have also ordered a NuShield screen protector for the MFT screen.

Now here's my question...during my inspection of the car (and thanks to this forum), I noticed the liftgate did not align perfectly and the third row seat on the left side did not fold completely flat. I am having the dealer take care of those issues. I also asked the dealer to polish the "Explorer" nameplates on both driver and passenger sides since they were scratched up. Everything else looked ok as I was using that checklist thread that has been posted on the forum. Before I actually take delivery on the car, is there ANYTHING else I should keep a lookout for or be aware of? Again, thanks for all your help and I'll be sure to post pics when I get it! ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can look at it in bright light so you can look at an angle along the body panels for blems / dings / paint chips, you'll be able to see much better. When buying a 2012 that may have been on the lot a while longer than the 2013's, it's more prone to things like that. Also look under the front end to make sure the plastic lip under the bumper doesn't show evidence of being driven up against a curb. Same for the wheels / tire sidewalls. Examine the windshield for any chips or tiny cracks. Same for the grill / front bumper. Look at the upper surface of the rear bumper to make sure no one scratched it while pulling something out of the cargo area. These are all things that they can claim that you did after you take the car home if you don't notice them after you take it off the lot.

Make sure you get the SD card for the nav (if equipped). Check to see that the antenna was installed on the roof. Check to make sure the floor mats are installed (or at least included). Check both keys to make sure they both open the doors / start the engine. Also make sure you get all the manuals (main book, warranty, mytouch, etc.).

Congrats and good luck.

Hi, guys! So after many months of searching and saving up some money, I'm about to finally retire my old '95 Explorer XLT and get a new 2012 Explorer Limited! :party: It is a Ginger Ale Metallic color with Charcoal Black interior, Equipment Group 303A (with Ecoboost), and it has a dual panel moonroof, 20-inch polished aluminum wheels, second row dual bucket seats with console, all-weather floor mats, and a cargo shade. The build date on it is 12/11. I'm getting a GREAT deal on it and getting it for several thousand off the MSRP of $47,425!

This forum has been an excellent resource and I appreciate everyone's help with all my questions thus far. I have reviewed the TSB thread and I think everything checked out during my test drive (no A-pillar noise and I think the other TSBs only applied to certain cars made before 8/11). I have also ordered the key protector from the Jacket Store (thanks to whoever posted the info on that particular thread) and I have also ordered a NuShield screen protector for the MFT screen.

Now here's my question...during my inspection of the car (and thanks to this forum), I noticed the liftgate did not align perfectly and the third row seat on the left side did not fold completely flat. I am having the dealer take care of those issues. I also asked the dealer to polish the "Explorer" nameplates on both driver and passenger sides since they were scratched up. Everything else looked ok as I was using that checklist thread that has been posted on the forum. Before I actually take delivery on the car, is there ANYTHING else I should keep a lookout for or be aware of? Again, thanks for all your help and I'll be sure to post pics when I get it! ;)
Between your list and that of tiresmoke, there isn't much left. To tell the truth, I didn't really check mine over very much except to see if the gas tank was full. It was.
Haven't had any problems. The name plates will eventually get scratched. Illuminated sill plates are available for the 2011 and 2013 but not for the 2012 for some reason. See if they will exchange the all weather floor mats for a cargo mat instead and pick up the much better mats from Husky or WeatherTech.
Congratulations on your new addition to the family.:thumbsup:

Peter

Congratulations, phreaky_d! The Explorer is an awesome vehicle :thumbsup: You're gonna love it :D

Between your list and that of tiresmoke, there isn't much left. To tell the truth, I didn't really check mine over very much except to see if the gas tank was full. It was.
Haven't had any problems. The name plates will eventually get scratched. Illuminated sill plates are available for the 2011 and 2013 but not for the 2012 for some reason. See if they will exchange the all weather floor mats for a cargo mat instead and pick up the much better mats from Husky or WeatherTech.
Congratulations on your new addition to the family.:thumbsup:

Peter

Whoa, whoa, whoa, Peter. Illuminated sill plates? I thought those were only available for the 2013 Sport??

Whoa, whoa, whoa, Peter. Illuminated sill plates? I thought those were only available for the 2013 Sport??
I figured sooner or later you had to jump in.:)
They are available for the 2011. I looked that up a few months ago. I guess I'll have to try and find it again. :D
There a few threads that talk about this including another member who saw them on a Ford Canada site but no one has ever been able to find a part number. I called several auto accessory places but although they have them for other Ford models, no one seems to have the Explorer ones. Not giving up.

Peter

Congrats -Hope your concerns get resolved and you close the deal.

You can read my thoughts here on Ecoboost. I think it has sufficient power. I've been getting a little better mpg than the v-6; but also for the most part been buying premium fuel. Is it worth the extra $900 for engine and paying extra for premium to get a few extra mpg? Everyone has their own theory. Most days when I have done city driving I have gotten stuck in DC Metro traffic due to accident and/or done lots of idle time for other reasons that have killed my average mpg.

You can see tracked mpg here on Fuelly for 2013.

:D

Congrats -Hope your concerns get resolved and you close the deal.

You can read my thoughts here on Ecoboost. I think it has sufficient power. I've been getting a little better mpg than the v-6; but also for the most part been buying premium fuel. Is it worth the extra $900 for engine and paying extra for premium to get a few extra mpg? Everyone has their own theory. Most days when I have done city driving I have gotten stuck in DC Metro traffic due to accident and/or done lots of idle time for other reasons that have killed my average mpg.

You can see tracked mpg here on Fuelly for 2013.

:D

We've been trying to catch up to you on mileage, but Houston traffic is just killing our attempts!

Once again, thanks for all the great advice! Tiresmoke, those are some great points...I pretty much overlooked a lot of that stuff you point out, so I'll definitely do a much more thorough inspection prior to me driving it home. I was also concerned about the power with the EcoBoost after reading multiple threads on here about it. However, I felt it had enough power for my needs. I'll post pics when I get it!

I figured sooner or later you had to jump in.:)
They are available for the 2011. I looked that up a few months ago. I guess I'll have to try and find it again. :D
There a few threads that talk about this including another member who saw them on a Ford Canada site but no one has ever been able to find a part number. I called several auto accessory places but although they have them for other Ford models, no one seems to have the Explorer ones. Not giving up.

Peter

There is another thread I posted in where Cory confirmed that the illuminated plates were discontinued and are not available. They will be available on the 2013 Sport though

There is another thread I posted in where Cory confirmed that the illuminated plates were discontinued and are not available. They will be available on the 2013 Sport though
Thanks for that. I knew I'd seen them on the Ford parts site before. Guess I can stop looking now.

Peter

...Everything else looked ok as I was using that checklist thread that has been posted on the forum. Before I actually take delivery on the car, is there ANYTHING else I should keep a lookout for or be aware of? Again, thanks for all your help and I'll be sure to post pics when I get it! ;)
Congratulations, phreaky_d! I’m confident the dealer will take care of you. :) I’m really looking forward to the pics. :biggthump

If you can look at it in bright light so you can look at an angle along the body panels...
Haven't had any problems...
...I think it has sufficient power. I've been getting a little better mpg than the v-6; but also for the most part been buying premium fuel...
tiresmoke, Peter, & Gatortailale,

Thanks for taking the time to help out, guys. :)

...Whoa, whoa, whoa, Peter. Illuminated sill plates? I thought those were only available for the 2013 Sport??
VinceL & phareous,

Here are the rest of the details on the Lighted Scuff Plates:

With the introduction of Explorer Sport, we have leveraged Illuminated Scuff Plates as a differentiator from the V6 TiVCT and 2.0L EcoBoost Models. The Illuminated Scuffs, along with two tone leather and contrast stitch interior and exterior design queues, help reinforce the Explorer Sport as more than just a powertrain package, but a differentiated model within the Explorer Lineup.

Going forward, we will continue to investigate extending Illuminated Scuffs to a broader range of Explorer models, based on customer wants and needs, though there are no explicit plans to do so at this time.

I suggest sharing the idea here:

http://www.Social.Ford.com

Be sure to grab the link so others can comment and rate!

Cory

Thanks, Cory! I appreciate the help you've given me in the past. I'm going down to the dealer today to pay for it...I won't be actually picking it up today, though. They still have to take care of the name plates, liftgate, and power fold issues. I'm definitely looking forward to getting it, though! :)

Thanks, Cory! I appreciate the help you've given me in the past. I'm going down to the dealer today to pay for it...I'm definitely looking forward to getting it, though! :)
You got it, phreaky_d! Your “thanks” can be posting great pics. :dpchug:

Cory

Cory, thanks for the info :):thumbsup:

Cory, thanks for the info :):thumbsup:
We've been trying to catch up to you on mileage, but Houston traffic is just killing our attempts!
You’re very welcome, VinceL! :thumbsup: I hope you’re keeping up on mileage (even with the Houston traffic). Check out these tips from page 296 of the 2013MY Explorer Owner Guide 1st Printing:

“ECONOMICAL DRIVING
Fuel economy is affected by several things such as how you drive, the conditions you drive under and how you maintain your vehicle.
There are some things to keep in mind that may improve your fuel economy:
• Accelerate and slow down in a smooth, moderate fashion.
• Drive at steady speeds without stopping.
• Anticipate stops; slowing down may eliminate the need to stop.
• Combine errands and minimize stop-and-go driving.
• Close the windows for high-speed driving.
• Drive at reasonable speeds (traveling at 55 mph [88 km/h] uses 15% less fuel than traveling at 65 mph [105 km/h]).
• Keep the tires properly inflated and use only the recommended size.
• Use the recommended engine oil.
• Perform all regularly scheduled maintenance.”

I want you to catch up with Gatortailale! :D

Do you need a free digital copy of the Owner Guide? Nab one (or two!) here:

http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage

Cory

You’re very welcome, VinceL! :thumbsup: I hope you’re keeping up on mileage (even with the Houston traffic). Check out these tips from page 296 of the 2013MY Explorer Owner Guide 1st Printing:

“ECONOMICAL DRIVING
Fuel economy is affected by several things such as how you drive, the conditions you drive under and how you maintain your vehicle.
There are some things to keep in mind that may improve your fuel economy:
• Drive at reasonable speeds (traveling at 55 mph [88 km/h] uses 15% less fuel than traveling at 65 mph [105 km/h]).
• Perform all regularly scheduled maintenance.”

I want you to catch up with Gatortailale! :D

Cory

Okay, now I'm gonna pick on you a bit Cory ;)

Let's review the list:

You obviously haven't driven in Houston traffic!
See above.
Should be more like "Anticipate being cut-off; do your best not to rear-end someone"
Errands can be combined (and we often do), I wish I could minimize stop-and-go driving!
Reminder, Houston heat and humidity. The only time the windows are open is when I accidentally bump the switch, causing instantaneous panic to all passengers!
I would be happy driving as fast as 45mph at times, much less faster than 65, lol.
I check that monthly and haven't changed the tires yet.
I'm trusting Ford on that one :)
• Perform all regularly scheduled maintenance.
Always do.

So, unfortunately, the Ford list isn't compatible with Houston traffic, or climate :D

Looks like I need to find me a couple of fresh owls for the gas tank...

...Check out these tips from page 296 of the 2013MY Explorer Owner Guide 1st Printing:...

Okay, now I'm gonna pick on you a bit Cory ;) Let's review the list:...
Ouch, VinceL! You just took me down a peg. ;) Here are some more driving hints from the same section of the Owner Guide:

“There are also some things you may not want to do because they may reduce your fuel economy:
• Sudden or hard accelerations.
• Rev the engine before turning it off.
• Idle for periods longer than one minute.
• Warm up your vehicle on cold mornings.
• Use the air conditioner or front defroster.
• Use the speed control in hilly terrain.
• Rest your foot on the brake pedal while driving.
• Drive a heavily loaded vehicle or tow a trailer.
• Carry unnecessary weight (approximately 1 mpg [0.4 km/L] is lost for every 400 lb [180 kg] of weight carried).
• Add particular accessories to your vehicle (e.g. bug deflectors, rollbars/light bars, running boards, ski racks).
• Drive with the wheels out of alignment.”

BTW, Houston roads sound delightful. :eek: It’s a good thing you have a fun set of wheels. LOL

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ouch, VinceL! You just took me down a peg. ;) Here are some more driving hints from the same section of the Owner Guide:

“There are also some things you may not want to do because they may reduce your fuel economy:
[SNIP]
• Drive with the wheels out of alignment.”

BTW, Houston roads sound delightful. :eek: It’s a good thing you have a fun set of wheels. LOL

Cory

Here we go with the second list:

Keep up, or get run over. It's almost a motto on our roadways.
• Rev the engine before turning it off.
So no more redlining the engine in the garage when I get home? Now you tell me!
• Idle for periods longer than one minute.
Idle? It's called stop-and-go traffic for a reason.
• Warm up your vehicle on cold mornings.
Cold mornings? What is this thing you speak of??
• Use the air conditioner or front defroster.
I'm not even going to bother...
• Use the speed control in hilly terrain.
Not too hilly around here, but I do find this one interesting. I have never heard that before :)
• Rest your foot on the brake pedal while driving.
That'll get you shot.
• Drive a heavily loaded vehicle or tow a trailer.
Doesn't apply here.
• Carry unnecessary weight (approximately 1 mpg [0.4 km/L] is lost for every 400 lb [180 kg] of weight carried).
Does my fat rear count? I have to lay off the fast food...
• Add particular accessories to your vehicle (e.g. bug deflectors, rollbars/light bars, running boards, ski racks).
Darn those running boards. But I won't have to worry for long, as it looks like they are going to fall off in six months anyway :D
• Drive with the wheels out of alignment.
I try not to make a habit of it.

It really isn't that bad, just another big city and its traffic. As for trying to console me that at least I have a nice set of wheels, nice try, but remember it is my wife's car :(

Back