Im doing timing chains have a question... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Im doing timing chains have a question...

yea the explorers used gt40 heads till 97 and gt40 p heads after, the motors run good i put one in my 88 fox all i did was add a cam for use with distributor and better valve springs, the explorers also used the gt40 intake as well. very good motors!!!! just had wimpy camshafts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bolts on both ends of the jackshaft and the crank harmonic balancer bolt are TTY and must be replaced. Cam sprocket bolts can be reused, right side is reverse threaded.

doing fronts this weekend, doing back next weekend when i pull tranny to replace clutch.

I'm right in the middle of it, engine is out, gears, guides, chains are installed, waiting on rear crank seal and other parts before I reinstall. Did you get the timing tool kit?

i got the tool to hold crank in place but i made the brackets to hold the cam. a buddy has a blown motor i used to mock up brackets., just used 1/8 steel plate, welder and grinder. lol..

ive been doing some research on the 4.0. with the 6200 rpm redline and quality of the block which i think is really good. i think that if i could do some head work/ port and polish heads and intake. have some custom cams made and good headers, i think i could get 300 hp out of one.

Back