I'm from Spain and I have problems with my Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm from Spain and I have problems with my Explorer

xtm

Reaction score
City, State
Barcelona
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
Hi there;

First of all excuse my bad English, I'm trying to improve it. I have a 1992 Ford Explorer and a month ago it began to have problems with the atomatic gears, it seems that in the morning the first gear is stuck and it's very difficult to change gears until it warms up. Here in Spain there are very few Ford Explorers and I love this car, I have a very new french car but I always prefer my Ford Explorer. I've gone to ask for help to Ford in Spain and they don't have experience and information on this car. I know that the problem could be that I must change the oil of the trans. but I know that with that it's not enought and probably I'll have to clean the governor of the gears and I wonder if anybody could help me to locate where is that piece in order to show it to the mechanics here how to do it. I need help from you guys.

Xavi from Barcelona (Spain)

xtm@dragonet.es
:burnout:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you very much

Is it a manual transmission or an automatic transmission?

If it is an automatic transmission, and it sticks in first gear until it warms up.. then works fine until cold again it is most likely a sticking governor.

The a4ld rebuild diary has a picture of the part.. and if you look up sticking governor you should find all kinds of threads on how to remove it/clean it up.

~Mark

It's an automatic transmision, and I think you are right and it could be the sticking governor, now the problem is how I can show to the Mechanic to clean it. Is it easy? Where can I see photos of how to do it please? or the most important think, where is the governor located.

Thanks a lot for your help

Xavi

Look at the top under Photo Gallery. Glacier991 has been doing a really in depth photo shoot on the transmission, its under off road trucks. You could also PM him and I'm sure he will help you out with a photo or two.

The governor is located on the back of the transmission, inside the extension housing. To get to it, drop the drive shaft to the transfer case, and remove the transfer case from the back of the transmission. You will have left the extension housing attached to the transmission, look inside from the end and you will see this:

15286DSCN5133.jpg

You can remove and replace it without taking the extension housing off, but if you did here is what you would see...

15286Dscn4858-med.jpg

The governor is held on with 2 bolts. Once off, an exploded view is this:

15286DSCN4560_1_1.jpg

The small spring on the left is an aftermarket return spring designed to help eliminate sticky governors... some even recommend replacing a sticky governor with a new one. Unfortunately the aftermarket spring only comes as part of a larger shift correction kit (about $35).

Here it is all clean and back together

15286DSCN4562_1_1.jpg

Bolt it back in and you are good to go. It is a good idea to change the fluid and filter during this process. In the for what it is worth category, the best thinking is that small brass particles from the reverse drum end caps tend to clog in the sliding area of the weight on the governor, causing the sticking. Best advice is change fluid every 30K miles and check it periodically for color. Because the pieces are believed to be the culprit are brass, a magnet in the pan won't help.

How this gives you what you need. Good luck.

Problems with my 92 Ford Explorer in Spain

You are all great guys! Thanks a lot for your help, now we'll try to fix it up following your instructions. If you come to Spain I'll be your tour guide ;)

Hi there;

I've just given all this information to the guy who is going to help to fix that problem and he asked me to clear this first point: (You know that we are from Spain and English is not our first languaje).

"The governor is located on the back of the transmission, inside the extension housing. To get to it, drop the drive shaft to the transfer case, and remove the transfer case from the back of the transmission. You will have left the extension housing attached to the transmission, look inside from the end and you will see this..."

Can you tell me please where exactly must do the first movment, I mean where is the extension housing and what he is going to see before the first photo, he is like a surgeon that he doesn't know where to make the first cut :eek:)

Thanks a lot for your help.

Xavi

Xavi,

I don't have your answers but doesn't your mechanic have a repair manual? If not I highly recommend buying one. Chiltons and Haynes make manuals for our trucks and they are very valuable when working and troubleshooting our trucks. I think Amazon carries them or maybe even try ebay.

Assuming your 4x4...

Remove the drive shafts from the transfer case..

Remove the bolts holding the transfer case to the Transmission.

Pull the transfer case away from the transmission... There is 1 electrical connection you must remove first.. There is also a vent hose on the front of the traansfercase you will have to remove too.

Once the transfercase is out.. look at the back of the transmission (in the hole at the back).. You will then see the 2 bolts you remove to take out/clean the governor(sp?).

For more complete instructions.. you can go to www.autozone.com and go to the repair info section on the left..

Once you are looking at the repair info for your explorer.. Go to the drive train section, the transfer case, then choose tranfer case assembly.. It gives exact instructions on how to remove the transfer case..

~Mark

As I told you before we are in Barcelona (Spain). Ford Explorer was never made in Spain and there is only few right now on the road in all Spain, neither the official Ford mechanics in Spain know how to fix it nor have any manual or information on this car. That's the problem.

check out the autozone site... it is very good. Simply put, you mark the location of the driveshafts connected to the transfer case (so they go back together the same way for balance reasons)... you then remove the wiring connector to the transfer case shift motor... then unbolt the transfer case, and remove it from the back end of the transmission. Voila!

xtm said:
As I told you before we are in Barcelona (Spain). Ford Explorer was never made in Spain and there is only few right now on the road in all Spain, neither the official Ford mechanics in Spain know how to fix it nor have any manual or information on this car. That's the problem.

Understood, thats why I thought you might want to purchase one for your reference and your mechanics.

Thanks, let me ask him what he thinks and if he thinks he can do it now. Thank you very much.

Xavi

If there is anything more we can do for you, let us know. Happy to help. And your English is very good!

Glacier991 said:
If there is anything more we can do for you, let us know. Happy to help. And your English is very good!

Yes! His English is MUCH better than my Spanish!!

-Joe

Try searching Ebay for a Ford Factory Service Manual. I had one for my old F-150 and they pretty much tell you how to tear the truck down piece-by-piece and put it back together again. I got to see Spain a few years ago. I went to Madrid and then went up into Galicia. Beautiful country up there. Good luck with your problem, I know firsthand that Explorers are not common over there, every car I saw was either a Renault, Peugeot, or something called a SEAT.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

El Luchador said:
or something called a SEAT.

hey dont be dissing my SEAT Leon ok.. ahaha kidding:

l4349.jpg
seat-leon-1.jpg

Back