• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

I'm getting high speed net next week-- Help!

gard_mc

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Sport
I'm getting Charter pipeline cable internet installed next week. I told them to go ahead and bring a modem ($5/month to rent), but I'm going to look for a deal on one to buy. Can anybody help? The lady taking the order didn't know much about the modems other than they use Motorola, so I guess my questions are:

1) would any Motorola modem work?
2) Are cable modems all compliant with a set standard like a dial up and any will work as long as it is compatible with my op system (Win 98)?
3) What are people running with allways on access as far as firewalls and/or other protection?

Thanks for the help I can't wait to get the fast speed up and running!:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

ChuckyD

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 4Runner SR5
My suggestion would be to either continue to rent to try to buy the modem from them. If you ahve problems down the road, and you have your own modem from a store, they will blame the problems on that. If you have theirs, they will be able to supprt you better.

yes they are compatible
there are a few firewall softwares out there,
black and zonealarm are the more popular.

Mikes95XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Bartlett, IL (currently in Bloomington for school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
We have cable internet at home, and when I come home from school I just plug right into my ethernet card on my puter...

I don't use firewalls here, but my roommate uses BlackIce Defender and he loves it....

tbomb

Reaction score
City, State
Levittown, NY (Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
i dont have a firewall either, but when we had an apartment up at school, we just got a router with a built in firewall (which i never set up, but it was there if i wanted.)

Crimson

Reaction score
City, State
Cherry Hill, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Sport
If you go ahead and buy a modem from a store all the cable company needs is the mac address from that modem. Usually this address is located on the modem(not really a modem because it does not modulate or demodulate anything). I was lucky enough to have one given too me for free :p

Another good idea, keep the amount of cable spliters you use down to a min. Every spliter you use reduces the signal(db) which can effect performance. Also make sure your using RG6 cable if you go out and buy your own.

As for a firewalls I use a linksys, its cheap and does what I need it to do. This item will block out WAN requests and many other great features like able to set your MTU to 1500.

Paul
ps chuck, in my case i dont really need comcast(cable provider) support because most of them are idiots.

Webster3

Mr. Ed
Reaction score
City, State
Atco, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
Keep in mind that a Cable Modem is very different from a telephone analog modem. The cable modem is used only with a cable tv connection from you cable company and cannot be used to dial up through a phone line.

The best way to protect yourself while on a cable modem or DSL line is by using a combination of products.

The first is a Router that uses NAT (Network Address Translation) and a Firewall. Lynksys and Netgear are the two most popular... I like either. Be aware this is not a HUB, but a "Switch", and the NAT is essential. NAT "hides" you on a private network that is not routable from the Internet. The Firewall blocks port attacks but it is only a basic firewall.

The second is a software firewall like Black Ice or Zone Alarm. This is basically for extra protection... I am usually comfy with just the router.

The last is Virus Protection. Even with all the Firewalls and NAT and all you could still get a Virus from e-mail that could open up ports out to the Internet to allow hackers into your system. McAfee and Norton are the top two but there are other good ones out there as well like Sophos.

Hope that helps!

Ed

Crimson

Reaction score
City, State
Cherry Hill, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Sport
Originally posted by Webster3
The first is a Router that uses NAT (Network Address Translation) and a Firewall. Lynksys and Netgear are the two most popular... I like either. Be aware this is not a HUB, but a "Switch", and the NAT is essential. NAT "hides" you on a private network that is not routable from the Internet. The Firewall blocks port attacks but it is only a basic firewall.Ed
-Most people do not configure a linksys as a router, but rather use it as a gateway.
-On a small network your not going to see a huge inprovement using a switch over a hub. Most sold now are switches any way.
-You can configure the firewall to allow ports(tcp/udp) to
forward too private ip address(good for games). NAT does not always hide you private network if you dont configure it right.
-If someone wants into your machine and are good enough they will.

Paul

taxx

Make em say Ugh
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
73 EB
Don't go with the linksys. It works great at first but if your lucky it will last a year, then after that it will constantly drop the connection adn you have to reboot it. I have a US Robotics with built in wireless access and I love it. You just have to spend a little more. As for firewall, zone alarm works great and is free.

Webster3

Mr. Ed
Reaction score
City, State
Atco, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
>>-Most people do not configure a linksys as a router, but rather use it as a gateway.

Actually, the term gateway and router are pretty much the same in this context... in fact Netgear actually calls theirs Gateway Routers. It functions has a limited router, routing the traffic from the Cable/DSL IP to the private IP... gateway works too because there is one interface in and one out.

>>-On a small network your not going to see a huge inprovement using a switch over a hub. Most sold now are switches any way.

You are right that performance between a hub and switch is not an issue. The only reason not to use the hub is because hubs do not do NAT.

>>-You can configure the firewall to allow ports(tcp/udp) to forward too private ip address(good for games). NAT does not always hide you private network if you dont configure it right.

I think you are confusing NAT and the Firewall... they are seperate things. NAT hides your network because the IP address are not routable through the Internet. The Firewall is blocking your ports. When you forward a port you need to tell it the private IP on the internal network or it won't find your computer.

>>-If someone wants into your machine and are good enough they will.

Absolutely... they idea here is simply to make things harder so hopefully they go on to an easier target.

Ed

Crimson

Reaction score
City, State
Cherry Hill, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Sport
Originally posted by Webster3
[B
>>-You can configure the firewall to allow ports(tcp/udp) to forward too private ip address(good for games). NAT does not always hide you private network if you dont configure it right.

I think you are confusing NAT and the Firewall... they are seperate things. NAT hides your network because the IP address are not routable through the Internet. The Firewall is blocking your ports. When you forward a port you need to tell it the private IP on the internal network or it won't find your computer.
Ed [/B]
Reread ed, I do know the difference between what nat does and what a firewall does. "the *firewall* to allow ports(tcp/udp)forwards too private address" which is what a firewall can do. To put it *simply*, NAT takes a public address and allows you too use several private address.

edited part:
And your right you do need to tell what port goes to what private ip, but i was not going into that much detail

Thanks,

Paul
ps i use to have a ftp server on my home network (days when at home gave static ip's) and would foward port21 to a static private address.

Last edited:

Webster3

Mr. Ed
Reaction score
City, State
Atco, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
I gotcha Paul, I misunderstood the one statement you made. It's good to chat with another techie. :cool:

I took a peek at your X, very nice! I love the rims.

Ed