I'm Giving UP..HELP PLEASE!! Door Lock Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm Giving UP..HELP PLEASE!! Door Lock Issue

sandiego21

Reaction score
City, State
Carol Stream, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have submitted a while ago. Here is what I have done to date:
1994 XLT 4 dr. - Problem: Door switches do not work, except for passenger side UNLOCK. Remote from aftermarket alarm sets alarm but does not effect locks. Here is what I have done:

-Checked 30A fuse
-Replaced driver acctuator
-Removed driver and passenger switches and sanded/cleaned contacts.
-Checked voltage at switch and getting 12 volts.
-Removed driver & passenger "boots" between door and car and checked for split wires.
-Removed kick panel and sill to check for loose,burned,split wires.
-This weekend took back to alarm store and they said there is power coming out from the switch..alarm is fine.

Not done yet: check for voltage at each side of connectors...behind drivers kick panel.

After all of this, I have not found anything wrong. Any other ideas would be really appreciated. I am at a loss and don't know what else to do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site!

I think you're on the right track. If you're getting juice on the inlet and outlet of the switches, next place I would check is the inlet at the lock motors. If there's no power there, work backwards to the switch, I'm not sure if there's something else in line.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I am getting power before and after the switches, I also checked power to the driver side moter and had power to one of the wires. Don't really understand the neg. polarity..should I show power to both wires going to the motor? Also, I replaced the driver motor..which still does not work.

The lock motors are switched to ground to activate them, I think you should now be checking for a broken ground connection. The schematics for your truck are Here start on page 40, pg 43, pg 52 and pg 165

thank you for the diagrams. I do have them in the manual I purchased a while back. Does anyone know where the grounds are? I would like to locate where they are on the car to see if I have a bad connection.

If this is a reverse polarity system, where are the relays for the locks?

The ground for the Master lock/unlock sw is G204, I don't see any relays in the circuit. Follow the chart to see there G204 is

GROUNDLocations
G100 RH rear corner of engine compartment, at tender apron
G101 LH front of engine compartment, near radiator
G102 RH side of engine compartment, attached to right quarter panel
G103 LH side of engine compartment, at fender apron
G104 LH side of engine compartment, at fender apron
G105 RH side of engine compartment, attached to Battery negative post
G106 LH front of engine compartment, near Radiator
G200 Under RH side of dash, above PCM
G201 RH side of Instrument Panel, mounted to RH side of kick panel
G202 RH side of Instrument Panel, mounted to RH side of kick panel
G203 RH side of Instrument Panel, mounted to RH side of kickpanel
G204 LH side of vehicle, behind kick panel
G205 RH side of vehicle, behind kick panel
G300 Rear center of vehicle, above roof panel
G301 Ground to Sheet Metal at Electronic Shift Control Module
G400 Rear center of vehicle, in liftgate
G401 LH rear corner of vehicle

thanks for the info FIXXXER. Can you explain the reverse polarity. this might also help me diagnose and find my problem.

Picture this:
chap04_simple_circuit_light_2007.gif

A regular circuit would have the sw placed in the circuit between the + of the battery and the light making/breaking the connections. With the door locks, the placed the sw between the - of the battery (ground) and the locks.

I think I understand...have tolet it sink in a bit.. To me, sounds like the switch to the locks are all based on the neg. or ground...and if this is correct, what reading should I be getting at both sides of the switch as I select Lock and Unlock?

If you have a bad ground, you will see 12+ on both sides of the the sw contacts.

Don't mean to sound stupid, but it's my accounting background that I am being so **** and detail to understand. Do you mean I will get 12+ on both sides of the switch at the same time or only when I switch to lock (12+), than to unlock (12+)?

If you have a bad gnd connection, when you push the switch, you will see 12v + on both sides

Thanks for all the help. I FINALLY found the issue.....it was a loose wire that is part of the remote/alarm system.

Back