im new to this and dont know where to start :S | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

im new to this and dont know where to start :S

kawana

Reaction score
City, State
Abby BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Sport
ok well i just got my 94 sport like... 2 weeks ago and i know nothing about offroading :D I dont want to do extreme offroading, but i do want to do some minor offroading, Mudding and the like. What kind of offroad kits do i need, sorry for my noobish talk but i really no nothing about lift kits and stuff :S Also what are some websites that sell the parts i need? Any help is welcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome!! You're at the right place, that's for sure.

My 94 XLT has done plenty and never given me any trouble. Then again, I suppose I earned the name "Idiot Stocker" and I have no fear of dents.

I'm guessing your sport is a stick shift. That saves you from the dreaded auto tranny troubles (which I have managed to excape so far).

Quick and easy upgrades that I recommend...
- Give the air-filter box the shotgun treatment or replace it with a K&N cone filter kit.
- Frame mounted front tow point is a MUST. Some folks use chevy truck tow hooks. I found a shackle that fits in the cross member just behind the radiator.
- Remove the front sway bar if you want more flex (but this does result in fish-bowl cornering when on the street).
- Manual hubs (like from Warn) are a good idea, but my stock auto hubs have lasted longer than expected.
- 31 inch tires. I swear by my Pirreli Scorpion ATs.

Obviously if you want to spend a *lot* of money and go all out with lift and performance parts, there are other folks here who can give you better advice.

2 questions....
1. how much are you gonna spend,
2. what type of offroading would you like to do?>

I recommend staying away from mud. Mud is a nasty beast and will just pull your vehicle to shambles, probably quicker than most other wheeling aspects...

supergildo said:
I recommend staying away from mud. Mud is a nasty beast and will just pull your vehicle to shambles, probably quicker than most other wheeling aspects...
I agree - to put it bluntly, mud just sux :D you spend about 2 days cleaning the GD thing - and forget about working under the vehicle after its gone through mud.

Back