I'm replacing a 4.6L v8 in an 03 limited explorer. Need help identifying correct engine. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm replacing a 4.6L v8 in an 03 limited explorer. Need help identifying correct engine.

MyExplorer03v8Lim

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.6L
Hi guys,

I have decided to keep this beautiful explorer, and to start replacing major parts as they begin to fail. Well, the engine is seized and must be replaced.

I'm looking at remanufactured engines, and I've noticed that the 8th digit in the vin is important. Mine is W, but I've noticed that in some descriptions "8th digit W" and "Romeo" are used interchangeably. If my 8th digit is W, will a Romeo engine also work? What's the distinction?

Also, almost everyone has recommended a Jasper engine. I realize that they're the best, based on wide reports, though im not sure what makes them the best. And their engine is $1k more than the middle range of eBay reman engines. So why should I feel compelled to spend $1k more on a Jasper? Is it the warrantee?

Thanks, guys. I appreciate any/ all advice.

Vin code W is a Romeo engine.

I don't know about Jasper, but some compare them to the old Bonded engines. A bunch of places sell ATK engines. NAPA sells a better warranty program on them.

Personally, I'd try to find a low mileage one (less than 130k.) Pull the timing cover and inspect the timing components. If under the valve covers isn't clean, return it. Better yet, pull the valve covers where ever you get it from before leaving.

Vin code W is a Romeo engine.

I don't know about Jasper, but some compare them to the old Bonded engines. A bunch of places sell ATK engines. NAPA sells a better warranty program on them.

Personally, I'd try to find a low mileage one (less than 130k.) Pull the timing cover and inspect the timing components. If under the valve covers isn't clean, return it. Better yet, pull the valve covers where ever you get it from before leaving.

I like your advice on inspecting the timing components, but you need to understand that all of my knowledge on the engines internals comes from what I've read and seen videos of. So I would not be able to accurately inspect any component of the engine. And I can't say that I've got a mechanic or engine-savvy friend who'll do the inspection for me. I could always pay a shop to scout an engine for me, but from what I've seen in this business it seems most of the shops I talk to are trying to withhold information from me. It seems as if since I'm not a car guy on their level, they're free to jack me around.

It's fairly easy actually. If the chains have slack, the tensioner(s) is/are bad. If the guides are bad you'll see the damage visually.

Back