I'm thinking even more of joining the darkside... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm thinking even more of joining the darkside...

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
Well I got my newest issue of Off Road Adventures today (the free magazine from 4WP) and I saw this article

05photo10.jpg

Hummm? ... It's a Jeep

And I got to thinking of how cool an idea this is... So I busted out my trusty 'ole MS Paint skills and wanted to see what ideas of my own I could come up with and here's the result.

The before and after...

14229Jeep_comparo.JPG

I love a jeep b/c its a convertible 4x4, I hate jeeps b/c you can't carry or tow anything with them. I think this would be the coolest compromise between the 2. honestly I don't think it would be that hard to do. You'd have to cut the frame and extend it right behind the doors and get an old pickup bed to sacrifice. Basically make a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Scrambler (I know DCX had a prototype of the sort, but I don't think it was ever slated to go to production)

My dad rebuilt a triumph TR4A by basically welding 2 cars to make one, why not do it with a Jeep? :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It would be a cool build. I'm sure your not the only one that feels the way you do about the jeeps being only half way user friendly -- maybe someone in the Jeep Executive World will make the suggestion. Good after pic though!

-Drew

No, don't do it! I have made a vow to myself never to own a JEEP, you should do the same - just a suggestion.

why not just get an unlimited? It is 15" longer then a standard TJ. My girlfriend has a cj7 and it fun to wheel in. Jeeps are nice cause you can just do a mail order build up of one.

VBVA said:
No, don't do it! I have made a vow to myself never to own a JEEP, you should do the same - just a suggestion.

Jeeps are one of the strongest vehicles out there (for a small SUV). Jeeps engines (4.0Ls) are one of the best ever. Now, granted, Super Dutys and such are defilently the champion of "strongest vehicles" - but that's kind of in a whole different class. Two different opinions.

-Drew

Go for it man. Jeeps are fun a hell to wheel in. Even more awesome rolling around with the top and doors off on a nice day.

I dont know why eveyone dogs jeeps soo much.

Ryan

Jeeps are for chicks. j/k. I like jeeps but everyone has one at least in AZ, and they all look the same (black crawlers, 4" lift). Then again unless your ex is heavily moded you are in the same boat. Why not just buy a limited?

jeep already has a new vehicle like that, and i am sure after awhile someone will make a halfhardtop for it if they dont already, its the wrangler unlimited

and that humjeep thing isnt even a jeep, its more chevy blazer than anything else.....

If I were ever to get a Jeep, I'd probably build up an old Commanche, when I was little I always wanted one. I haven't seen one around in years, so it would be fairly rare around here.

jimabena74 said:
jeep already has a new vehicle like that, and i am sure after awhile someone will make a halfhardtop for it if they dont already, its the wrangler unlimited

and that humjeep thing isnt even a jeep, its more chevy blazer than anything else.....

The Unlimited doesn't have a pickup bed. I want a convertible pickup, not a streched jeep.

It looks ugly yo.

Jeeps are cool but as said before, every other off roader has one. Gotta be different sometimes.

Although I've never owned one, I think Jeeps are awesome! I've always loved the CJ, Scramblers and Wrangles, esp the 97 & up TJs, and the new Unlimited. (The Liberty and concept Gladiator just don't do it for me...) I used to love cruisin the Jersey shore with the top dropped and the doors off - really is cool. They're also tuff to beat offroad due to their small size, manueverability and the availability of truly awesome, off road worthy mail order parts.

Actually almost thought of selling my X for a TJ after the wife and I rented one for the week in Grand Cayman. Decided against it when we got home b/c the X is just SOOO much more versatile and practical. (Did I just say practical :confused: Damn I must be getting old!) No matter what your carryin' or haulin', the X just does it better and with more comfort and style than pretty much ANY of the Jeep products. X certainly rides better and quietier than a Wrangler and has more creature comforts.

Even from an off road build-up perspective, its actually cheaper for me to do a SAS on my X - and have it done right - than for me to buy a 97 or preferrably newer TJ and start a whole new build-up from scratch. Plus, with a TJ, where would I put my long guns and target frames, the plywood, the 2x4s, the firewood, four people and gear for a long roadtrip or colleagues from work??

If the wife and I ever get a third vehicle just for summer fun, toolin' around town and off roading, it probably will be a TJ. But since right now I need one multi-purpose truck to be my daily driver, people hauler, gear hauler, road tripper and off roader, I won't trade my X for a Jeep or anything else- I'd be giving up too much. And once I get the SAS done, the X will go pretty much anywhere any of the best / built-up TJs will go.... :thumbsup: :D

What Hokie is talking about building is similar to what A.E.V. has built for years - The Brute.
veh_brute.jpg

Hokie, I loved my Ford Ranger, but the thing was plagued with problems after it hit 100,000 miles. I should have unloaded it sooner because $6,000.00 worth of repair bills I am still paying on today. :fire:

Since buying my Rubicon, I haven't missed my old pickup - except for on the Baja Pole Line Run II where a pickup bed could have hauled my stuff better than a Jeep could. But, having air lockers and 4:1 gearing sure made up for it... Maybe, Hokie should save for the new Jeep Commander fullsize pickup based off of a Dodge Ram 2500 chassis.

P4080497.jpg
Brute_OR01.jpg
P1010161.jpg

that brute is sick as $HIT!!!!
purely awesome

Ken Cooke said:
What Hokie is talking about building is similar to what A.E.V. has built for years - The Brute.
veh_brute.jpg

I wonder if A.E.V. would sell just the bed and or hardtop. I could do everything myself, but having their bed would be a whole lot easier to work with (I was thinking i would have to take a bed from a Ranger or S10 or something which wouldn't look right)

Holy crap that thing is cool!!! How much $$$$? I would be willing to bet that it is pretty pricey? ALso, time to prove my ignorance, what is AEV?

RedEB said:
Holy crap that thing is cool!!! How much $$$$? I would be willing to bet that it is pretty pricey? ALso, time to prove my ignorance, what is AEV?

Go to their website and poke around. You'll learn that all it takes is $money$.
History of A.E.V.

Here are some trick rims that have the same 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern as Explorers and Rangers.
box_3DWheel.gif

AEV_Stem_Location.jpg

I especially like their vented hoods w/Poison Spider graphics:

P4100216.jpg
AEVHood_PSC.jpg

Hokie said:
I wonder if A.E.V. would sell just the bed and or hardtop. I could do everything myself, but having their bed would be a whole lot easier to work with (I was thinking i would have to take a bed from a Ranger or S10 or something which wouldn't look right)

Check out the guys who make the Roadarmor bumpers I think they have a "kit" for 6 or 8k that has a bed, jig to stretch the frame, and cab to turn a wrangler into a pickup. Sounds more cost effective than buying from AEV until you figure in the labor to do everything.

SteveVB said:
Check out the guys who make the Roadarmor bumpers I think they have a "kit" for 6 or 8k that has a bed, jig to stretch the frame, and cab to turn a wrangler into a pickup. Sounds more cost effective than buying from AEV until you figure in the labor to do everything.

http://www.roadarmor.com/ra3/summitsut.html

Oh wow, I'm in love...

summit4_big.jpg

The Summit is available as a kit and comes with the following:
6' alum bed with hi lift jack mount and storage compartments, spare tire mount is recessed at the front of the bed and also provides deep well lockable storage if spare is located elsewhere. Full wide tail gate 4' wide with recessed license plate mount and third brake light in tail gate.Recessed turn/stop/tail lights, and backup lights.

Mid frame extension with body mounts, rear frame extension with body mounts. Half cab with quarter windows, cab is 3" longer for increased leg room. Cab ships in black and can be painted to match. Alum cab and floor close out requires no welding. Extends wheel base to 118". Extended fuel lines, extended electrical harness, extended brake lines. A laser machined weld fixture is provided for accurately aligning components during assembly. Conversion takes approx. two man days, and paint of bed and cab close out.

summit1_big.jpg

summit3_big.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I gotta admit, half of me thinks it looks tough as hell, and half of me thinks it looks queer as hell.

Maybe half of me could be set straight with a little body damage... :D

Back