I'm trying to help my Mom and her Explorer (5 trouble codes). | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm trying to help my Mom and her Explorer (5 trouble codes).

dgsm24

Reaction score
City, State
Daytona Beach Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford F-150
My mom has a 1998 ford explorer sport 4.0 2wheel drive, she called me yesterday and told me the car is running horribly. I told her to go to autozone and get codes ran and that i would go from there. She doesnt have enough money for a mechanic so i will be doing all the work. the explorer has 185k original motor and transmission...ha there has not ever been any major repair done to it, i dont think shes ever done sprak plugs, nothing but oil changes.
So codes read
1.p0446-evap emissions control system, vent circulation malfunction
2.p0401-EGR flow insufficient
3.p0402-EGR excessive
4.p0171-system to lean bank 1
5.p0174-system to lean bank 2

So here is where i am going to begin and any advice or additions that you guys think would be awesome! Start with plugs and wires(motorcraft?) and i dont know if it has a cap or the 2 things my f150(1997 f150 4.6 4x4) has, but all that, new egr, (i cleaned out the TB in my truck cause the back port was closed shut with carbon, should i clean the TB because of the same problem maybe?)repair or replace any hoses, make sure they are clean and clear, oil change, change tranny fluid and filter, rear end fluid....clean MAF new PCV, fuel filter, clean or replace IAC and DPFE...Seafoam? If i missed anything could someone let me know....*And i know this isnt a f-150 its an explorer but i was hoping someone could help me none the less* thanks all!

A single gross vacuum leak could be causing all the codes.

The evap box is back by the spare tire on the driver side. You might check the vacuum lines and the box itself, but be careful as it may be fragile with corrosion

the purge valve solenoid is directly under the battery box, and sometime battery fluids will drip on it and cause a leak, Check it out well, ( you might need to remove it to see the plastic fitting from what I am told)

also check the vacuum lines running along the passenger side front wheel well to the vacuum reservoir. They can get broken.
Of course there is the vacuum tree on the rear of the upper intake manifold-make sure all the lines are attached and all holes plugged.

ok thanks guys, so the evap box is at the rear of the truck by the spare tire?

Back