I'm trying to replace the automatic transmission on my 2003 Ford Ranger. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm trying to replace the automatic transmission on my 2003 Ford Ranger.

kcp2487

Reaction score
City, State
bethlehem GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
im trying to replace my automatic transmission on my 2003 ford ranger pickup. just swaping burn one for a new one are their any tricks to make this job any easier

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

and also

and also my transmission only has 2 gear and reverse does the transmission need to be replaced or could i just change out the transmission filter

welcome kcp

tricks/tips

Hey, I actually just took my trans out last night, I have a 5 speed ranger with a 3 inch body lift witch ended up being a god send truthfully. My first tip would be go and buy a bunch of 10" extensions so you can get to the trans bolts and have ample space to manuver the breaking bar or impact gun witch ever you use. removing the transfer case is a great course of action to take aswell i dont know if that is mentioned most likley is, but once the trasfer case is you can almost sit up right under the truck so you can actually see the trans bolts. i could not get any of the bolts to break loose with an impact gun and had to loosen them with a breaking bar then I used the impact gun to remove them for the sake of speed.

the transfer case's forward shaft is held on by 12 point 8mm bolts that you HAVE to use a box wrench on a socket will NOT fit inbetween the yoke and transfer case so I strongley advise you going to the hardware store and getting two 8mm 12 point wrenches becasue they are flimsy little turds and my bolts were rough to get out i had to hit the wrench until they broke loose then i was able to move them.

any questions you have reguarding this please feel free to pm me or email me, email will get a much faster responce time. good luck with your swap!:thumbsup:

Back